Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Buddy Lists and Busyness

Way back in the day (2002-2007) when I was a student in college and grad school, I used to take pride in something really dorky. I used to find pride in my AOL Instant Messenger.

College Rachel's Desk circa August 2005....Clutter and Color Galore!
Also, let's take note of the old facebook on my screen...how old school.

Let me explain...

Remember back in college when AIM was where it was at and everyone compulsively checked buddy lists and made witty away message? Do you also remember how if someone on your buddy list was gone for more than 30 minutes, their name would appear light grey and show up in italics? And then you could hover your cursor over their name and you could actually see the number of minutes they were gone? Anyone else remember this???

I used to take pride in being gone for hours at a time, only to come home and beg my roommate to tell me how many hours it had been since I last touched my computer. Is that weird? I used to love leaving early in the day, having plans on campus all day long, only to return home at 8 or 9 at night. I lived for a jam packed planner. I loved for my days to have zero free time in them. I loved rushing across the quad for meetings or lunch dates or bible study. I used to be happy when my hours away were in the double digits. A 13 hour day was something to take pride in.

...those were the days. I was so young and able.

And now I am an old woman who longs to do nothing more but crash the minute my work day ends. Extra meetings or conferences or appointments totally screw me up these days. I just want to work my normal hours, then come home and put pajamas on and be with and the dogs and my husband. 21 year old college Rachel would be ashamed at the woman I've become.

But you know what? I've reached a point in life now where I think it's okay that I want to be at home. I'm not a hermit, I just work hard 9 hours (or more) a day, and if I want to just rest in my evenings, well then there's nothing wrong with that. A little bit of rest, some dog cuddling, some cooking, and maybe some wine are good for the soul. I get that now. I don't feel a need to be out all day and all night, only to overextend myself and feel stressed. And I like that. I am glad I've found a place where I'm content in feeling that way.

College Rachel may have been busy, but she certainly didn't understand the beauty of rest and a little peacefulness. Nothing like figuring out what makes you happy.

22 comments:

  1. Hahahaha....I used to get so mad at my roommate when she hit my desk on accident and made me not idol anymore! I loved to be gone for long time (I was busy, too, but I wanted people to know I was busy...why?!?!) haha this post made me laugh!

    But I am the same way. I am happy coming home at 4 after working since 8 and not leaving the house for the rest of the night. There's something about NOT having anything to do now :) However, those nights are rare and I appreciate them a LOT!

    xoxo
    Jess

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack! I feel like I could have written this! AIM was sooo the cool thing, and making a funny away message was the epitome of awesomeness. Or those profile things at the bottom? And I was totally into a packed schedule, with as many extracurriculars as I could sqeeze in. Now? I'm exhausted after work. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This takes me BACK! I really miss Away Messages, personally. I used to take pride in crafting the perfect away message! And I loved checking the Away Messages of people who I knew were in fights with others... the Passive-Aggressive Away Message was a true art form!

    Relaxing at home is the best... this past Friday and Saturday, Evs and I were home and curled up on the couch by 10 (and I'm in comfy clothes on the weekdays by 6:30)... Party Animals, we are not, but we still have fun - even when we're just at home in our PJs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a difference in a couple years! I graduated from college in '99 and we didn't really even have computers in our rooms. We went to the computer lab for everything! No AIM for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally remember those days at JMU! I was the same way, even worse in high school. But, I think there is something to be said with being happy and content to sit and rest. Taking time to enjoy our loved ones and "me" time is important!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think you pretty much channeled everything I feel. Totally relating right now...

    And what about the pride in having the best "profile" quotes, etc.? Oh man, that was SO important.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I gave up AIM once I got to college but I loved it in high school. Of course, we had actual DIAL UP internet back then so of course I tied up the phone for hours at a time.

    Those WERE the days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes! I remember AIM. Everyone loved AIM in college. Like you, I would be "away" from my dorm for hours on end. Now I just want to be home as much as I can ;) I used to feel a lot of pressure to have some sort of funny away message and sport my busyness. I am glad "adult" Sarah could care less.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post and the AIM reference definitely takes me back! It was such a huge part of our lives until Facebook was created. I loved stalking everyone's away messages and also took pride in being idle for hours, even days on end. But I agree, while I loved going non stop in the past, I couldn't be happier with where I am at right now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I couldn't agree more. In college, I was busy nonstop - staying up through the night to do homework because I was just too busy through the day. Now, I'm home as quickly as I'm able, try to only have weeknight plans once (MAYBE twice) a week and often I'm in bed by 10 on Friday nights. Reminds me of that line in Eat Pray Love... "il dolce far niente." I like my new not-on-the-go life.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I couldn't have said it any better! I totally remember the AIM days. Those were pretty fun, but I wouldn't trade them for what I have now. I love coming home and relaxing and spending time with J, Oli, and Wembley. Just a few phase of life:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha, your post definitely took me back! Oh, the days of away messages. I cringe now thinking of all of the ridiculous things I probably wrote on mine!
    I couldn't agree with you more about life now. I actually hate having an evening meeting or plans after work. I love snuggling on the couch with Nick and our pups more than anything in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  13. HAHAHAH. I used to LOVE AOL IM. It was my main source of communication in college. And finding the perfect whitty away message (quote, movie title, etc.) was a true art form.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that we can all relate to this post. I guarantee you're not the only one who had a cluttered colorful dorm room desk like that, and I also guarantee you're not the only one who is in comfy clothes by 7pm every week night! I know I couldn't be happier :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well said. Although, you are FAR from old, take it from this almost 40 year old (yikes!) I too love to be home and in my comfies as soon as possible after work. I remember being so irritated that my mom would come home from work and immediately put her robe on. I thought it was so lame! Karma is a bitch...I am my mother :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh man, the days of AIM away messages and profiles. I used to change the colors/goofy quotes/song lyrics on my profile like three times a week. And I'd go to this website (I think it was called coloryourprofyle.com - remember that?) and copy and paste big starbursts and such made with ~ and * and }.

    I have to admit though - as goofy as it was, it was kind of fun to keep up with all my friends that way!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so true! I can't wait for the end of the day to come home and cuddle up for the night!

    ReplyDelete
  18. hilarious, i was totally the same way!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. The away message was the best part! I used to search forever to find a quote to send a message to the guy of the moment. I loved how those popped up!!

    When the hubs comes home and the babe is in bed, I want to do nothing but lay on the couch, watch tv, and drink wine. This is why I can't work out at night. I got to have some relax time!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. For the record, I am a big fan of old lady Rachel AND college Rachel. And, remember when you put up "errands?" Heehee.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I totally remember those AIM days! I remember witty away messages. Ahhh. :) I feel the same way and want to totally crash when I get home. My younger self would roll her eyes and call me old.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Are we the same person?!?!?! I could have written this post!

    ReplyDelete