Monday, March 21, 2011

Menu Monday

My Meals Last Week:

Burrito Bowls are nothing new around here, but I switched it up some this week. Instead of using IGE's chicken, I went with a slow cooked pork, and MMMMM MMMM! It was a good call. Very tasty. We also threw in some avocados for fun. That's the best part about burrito bowls. You can pretty much throw in anything and they're delicious.


I'll admit, I was a little nervous about this meal. Sometimes my Asian cooking is too powerfully flavored, or it just turns out being kind of blah. Not this! My favorite thing to order when we do Thai take-out is spring rolls. This was like one big spring roll in a salad. The sauce was perfect. I couldn't find the big noodles like the recipe calls for, but the thin ones worked great. And instead of chicken, I subbed in shrimp. I sauteed my shrimp in olive oil and sesame oil for a few minutes till pink, and tossed a little teriyaki sauce on top. Perfection.

J's Meals Last Week:

Not only are they pretty in presentation, this is one solid meal. J found this recipe about 2.5 years ago when he and I began our adventure in cooking and found it to be an easy recipe. If cooking is slightly intimidating to you, try these. They're simple and yummy!

French Toast and Bacon

Be prepared to see more breakfasts for dinner in our meal plans! With gas being as expensive as it is these days, we're making some tweaks in our budget to allow for that new cost. Breakfast for dinner is cheap and a VERY easy way to cut back on the grocery bill. And best of all...it's still one of my favorite nights of the week. I love french toast morning, noon, and night!

9 comments:

  1. Yum!! These meals all look very tasty. We do breakfast for dinner at our house too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really need to make pulled pork. I think I'm scared of failing miserably. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These posts ALWAYS make me so hungry, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We LOVE breakfast for dinner! It's so easy & cheap for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely bookmarking that Rice Noodle Salad! Will have to make mine w/ chicken though, since the husband doesn't eat shrimp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a new reader and I hear you on gas costs/tightening the budget. I'd love to hear about more of your budget-friendly meals!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I was pregnant I ate French Toast like every weekend. Hmmm about that weight I'm having a hard time with... lol :)

    And the burrito bowls look delish - I think I will be adding that to our menu. I know I always say this but I REALLY love your menu monday! I always look forward to it!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Every single time I read one of these posts of yours, my stomach gets all rumbly!! I need to make that Asian dish. Okay, I actually need to make both of those top ones. Is it too late to make it now?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Breakfast for dinner is the best!

    ReplyDelete