Thursday, March 3, 2011

Weekend "Hike"

This past Sunday, we were having one of those perfect late winter days. Virginia's weather is usually quite mild, but it's also known to be a little bit wacky. When we get a 65 degree afternoon and it's still February, nothing can get me down. We decided to take full advantage of it and go for a little day hike*.

*I use the word "hike" loosely. Everything is completely flat here. When you hike 5 miles, it feels like nothing since we have zero hills or elevation.

Anyhow...we did early church Sunday morning and were out at the park by 10:30 AM. Layla was anxious and ready to go!

Things started off rough because our trail map had us following a path that took us over a bridge. We kept walking and walking expecting to find this bridge, but we eventually learned that said bridge was gone. This meant a little bit of detouring through the woods, but everyone survived (and we found no ticks!).

We eventually made it to the river which was at the bottom of the park where I took a picture of this handsome bearded man. Yes, that's my husband with his new red beard. His wife has very mixed feelings on it.


Even though it was really only 65 degrees, Layla found the need to cool off in the river. Now she stinks like a river dog. I suppose someone should give her a bath...


After a good swimming session, we found a trail back to the car, this trail was a tad more successful than our trail down to the river. There were still issues with that nonexistent bridge, but at least we had a path this time.

Me and my hiking companion

I am so happy that spring is in the air! I am hoping for more weekend adventures...and I have a feeling Layla is too!

7 comments:

  1. Hooray for spring weather! My husband and I took advantage of the nice weather on Sunday as well with a long walk around our neighborhood :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a perfect day! I'm loving the warmer weather we have had lately. My husband also likes to experiment with having a beard briefly every Winter and I also have mixed feelings about his ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't these sporadic nice days lovely? Now, if only they'd stick around.

    Your hubby looks older with the beard! Not in a bad way, just older! And aw, puppy love. Zia loves to splash around when we go on hikes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hiking. Too funny about Layla's swim -- dogs are so silly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving this pictures sweetie!!

    I was like "hike" where'd she hike? Ohhhh right! LOL! :)

    Loved that weather - now why is it SOOO cold today?

    My allergies cannot handle this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this pictures sweetie!!

    I was like "hike" where'd she hike? Ohhhh right! LOL! :)

    Loved that weather - now why is it SOOO cold today?

    My allergies cannot handle this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, a hike is a hike! It's like "mountain biking" in Iowa ;) heh.

    I'm jealous of the weather! And you getting out to enjoy it!

    Love the beard!

    ReplyDelete