Friday, May 27, 2011

bad weather & blondies

This past Tuesday, we had a crazy thunderstorm that came in to town around 4:30pm, and it came out FAST. One minute things were sunny and nice, and then the sky was BLACK. The local news has reported that we had winds up to 78mph* and I totally believe it. I was driving home from school when it hit, and it was ugly. I have never been so scared. Thankfully, I made it home in one piece and the sun came back out. Didn't really think much more about this until 6:00 AM the next morning when I got a phone call telling me that my school would be closed for the day due to power outages.

We've all had snow days and storm days, but usually you go to bed the night before having a small inkling of an idea that school might be canceled in the morning. This was the first time I've ever been truly surprised by a day off! I welcomed the news with open arms!

So what did I do with my unexpected vacation day? I cleaned, I grocery shopped, I worked on my resume, I did laundry, I watched a movie (No Strings Attached...very cute!), and I baked! What did I bake? Let me share...


I made a batch of Funfetti Blondies (recipe from Fake Ginger)

Who doesn't love a recipe with sprinkles?


They make every dessert more fun!

And the finished product...


They weren't as colorful as the ones on Fake Ginger's blog, but they still turned out great. A nice change from brownies!



*78 mph winds that did this on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge...

Crazy...right? And in case you can't tell from the photo or the name, this is the the 23 mile bridge tunnel that takes you from mainland Virginia to the eastern shore. So yes, his truck is hanging out over the bay. It was a CRAZY storm that truly came on fast. My favorite part about the news story is the last line that reads:

Officials could not confirm whether the accidents were weather-related.

REALLY???

There were just 78mph winds and two tractor trailers over turned, but you don't know what caused it?

Makes me laugh!


8 comments:

  1. YAY for an unexpected day off!!!!! All these storms are SO scary. Glad you were okay!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM!!! And holy cow I can't believe that truck!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! crazy weather! Those blondies look fantastic! yum yum yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for unexpected days off!

    We were just up in that area last weekend and drove over that bridge. It's scary when there isn't 75 mph winds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Boo for all these dumb storms. I'm over it! But yay for unexpected days off. I got to sit in a hallway for 30 minutes on Friday because of tornadoes. Woohoo!

    I'm SO making these blondies Monday. YUMMMMM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those blondies look great! totally going to make some now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wish we could have more days off due to weather. Oh well. I'm glad you're safe, after seeing what the wind did to that big truck! Craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  8. blondies are my favorite thing!!! I can never stop eating them once I start!

    ReplyDelete