Friday, May 20, 2011

brighten the lights of madison

A few weeks ago, we hit the hit 5 year mark from my college graduation. 5 years. Where did the time go? I so often feel like yesterday I was just moving into my freshmen dorm.

I know it's a cliche, but the time I spent in college, were four of the best years of my life. I truly, truly loved every single thing about my college.

The mountains.
The people.
The friendliness.
The Klines visits.
The blue stones.
The late nights.
The TDU dates with many a friend.
The AIM profiles and away messages.
The quad.
The little Jimmy Mad statue.
The train tracks behind Hoffman Hall.
The food (especially Festival Salad Bar and Corn Dog day at Dhall).
The teachers who helped make me a teacher.
The way it smelled like dog food after the rain.
The airport lounge that had zero connections to an airport.
The naps.
The town.
The tunnels.
The JAC card.
The spontaneous trips to Reddish Knob.
The Wednesdays in Taylor Hall.
The Thursdays in ISAT.
The hill behind Grafton that led to the library.
The snow days.
The Duke Dog.


I know this is all a little nostalgic and kind of silly, but my four years at JMU shaped me more than any other time in my life. I love that place like it's a dear friend. When I get the chance to go back and visit, my heart will race as we get close to campus.

I feel the need to blog all this now, because my blog is a journal of not just my life now, but also of my past. I want to have these memories written down so they can be remembered. That's what I love about blogging. It's my own, perfect time capsule.

This has been floating around on my facebook lately, and I watch and tear up. I feel so lucky to be a part of a community who is so proud of their school. My blood will always be purple, through and through!

Purple Day from Jon Combs on Vimeo.

12 comments:

  1. It's only been 2 years since I graduated (and from a different school) but I feel the exact. same. way. I start to tear up just thinking about how much I loved school and how different it made me as a person.

    And I can completely remember the day I moved in as a freshman, right down to what I was wearing.

    Crazy how time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am definitely going to share this with Nick (and his sister who is also a JMU grad). Go Dukes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I just loved my college years, so many incredible things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This week is 6 years for me! I've now been out of college longer than I've done anything in my life. Crazy. I miss USC a lot still. The campus, my sorority house, my friends, the football games, everything.
    Was that pink room your room in college? So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I bleed purple too!!!! My heart skipped a beat this morning when I saw your post title - LOVE that place.

    And this post is awesome - reminded me of things I had already started to forget about..like the airport lounge..so many wonderful memories!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ahhhh. i LOVE this post. i'm constantly missing every thing about jmu, well...maybe not the smell of dogfood after the rain. i never did get used to that. ha but it did add character !

    i saw that video around facebook... really does make me tear up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The naps?! Oh the naps. Those were the days. And the AIM away messages? The best. Twitter and FB have nothing on the nostalgia of those messages. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know exactly how you feel. This May was the 5 year mark for me too. I miss those days. It was so much fun and I wish I could go back sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that dog food after the rain smell. oh my. i went to GMU, but hold a special place in my heart for the nights i spent at JMU. oh that silly tunnel to the UREC and the quad. :) it's been four years for me, but it feels like yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That sounds like how I feel about my college experience, minus the mountains. I think it's an awesome time that everyone should get to experience.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's definitely crazy how time flies! It's so much fun to look back though. What wonderful memories you made!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought of you and JMU last week when I was in OBX. There was a cute little store with handpainted collegiate glasses-including JMU!!

    ReplyDelete