Monday, May 9, 2011

Menu Monday: One Person Meals

With J in Charlotte, I am eating a little different from normal. Instead of cooking large meals each night, I'm changing things up a bit. More frozen meals, more simple meals. And my dear friend Kelly and her husband had me over for dinner last Wednesday, as they knew it was my first week alone. This week's meals weren't to healthy (hence the lack of veggies), but I'm hoping to do better this week.

Here's what I prepared in my kitchen:

Cha Sin Bao (barbecue pork buns)


A coworker turned me onto these. I'm in love! Next time I'll probably make green beans with them.

Thai Shrimp Dumplings

Yum, Yum, YUM! Again, I could have made this healthier, but oh well. These are pretty light and I can make them in a flash.


Gorgonzola Tortellini with Pesto and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes


I bought this tortellini at World Market in Richmond over my spring break. It made the perfect meal with some pesto and roasted tomatoes (roasted in my toaster oven, thank you very much!). I broiled the tomatoes in the toaster oven for about 7-8 minutes and threw 'em on top of the pasta. Perfection!


Cooking Light Shrimp and Grits

This is my favorite Cooking Light recipe (in case you haven't noticed already). I enjoyed making this just for myself because it meant there was more just for ME! I didn't have to share this time. Very good chance I'll be making this again this week.

And then yesterday morning, this is where you could find me for about 2 hours...


Since J doesn't have a permanent home yet, it's hard for him to cook while he's down in Charlotte. I've been making him food to take back for lunches and dinners. This week he'll be enjoying some....

Pasta alla Vodka (with the full cream and butter!)


and...

My Pasta Salad


9 comments:

  1. Hello Julia Child, nice to meet you!!! Yummy Yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You HAVE to have a char siu bao at a Chinese restaurant during dim sum. That's all I'm going to say. Or, just buy some char siu. ;)

    Adam made them for Chinese New Year a couple years ago and we've had the TJ's version, too, which is definitely yummy & super easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so cute! I am having to eat my single girl meals lately too and you are doing much better then me. I think I also need to do the same thing and work on cooking some big things to eat throughout the week like J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steamed buns are always a win in my book. I have never actually made them at home, though...

    I love vodka sauce, but never indulge. I just found a jarred "pink" vodka sauce with just a hint of cream in it, so I'm hoping it will satiate the cravings for the 'real' stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so nice of you to cook before J leaves.
    I never cook stuff for my J to eat while I am gone. I'm a mean wifey.
    Welcome to my "married but hardly live together" world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cooking Light Shrimp and Grits recipe is insanely yummy! I'm going to have to look for the pork buns and the dumplings at TJs. I like to have a few fast meals on hand for busy weeknights :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was so sweet of you to cook for J before he had to head back to work. I made PW's pasta alla vodka last week and nearly ruined it by not sauteeing my onions long enough... my husband hates onions and couldn't stand to eat it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great wife to cook for J!! I'm sure he appreciates it so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. where did you get the chinese buns? YUM! We had steamed buns every day in China and I LOVED them!!!!!! Now Im starving!!!!!

    ReplyDelete