Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Baby "Spud's" Shower

My very best friend and teaching partner at school is having a baby girl in July. We've laughed her whole pregnancy because all she has wanted to eat has been potatoes. There have been days where she's come into the lunch room with a baked potato and a side of tater tots. Mom and Dad haven't decided on a name for the baby yet, so you can only imagine all the names we've been calling this baby girl: Tater, Tater Tot, Mrs. Potato Head, and my personal favorite...Spud!

This past Friday we threw a surprise shower for my friend and it could not have been a more perfect night. As I'm sure you can tell from the pictures, we went with a potato theme. We had a baked potato bar and the most amazing cake. I was the lucky one who got to call and order it. The lady on the other end of the phone at the bakery definitely thought I was crazy!


We had one fabulous set up for the baked potato bar. One teacher brought the BEST topping that I'd never had before, but plan to make again for my potatoes. It was just sour cream and horseradish, but oh my goodness...it was DELICIOUS!


Our hostess, who also happens to be the world's greatest drink mixer, made Crack Babies (so appropriate for a shower, right?). Apparently they're a favorite drink of Kate Middleton...or so the internets claim. This drink was SO delicious. Pureed strawberries, champagne, vodka, and passion fruit juice. It was the perfect drink for summer. Here's a link to the recipe. I didn't get a picture of the pitcher, but you can see it in the glasses here...


Seriously...make this drink this summer! It was so so good!

And finally, a picture of my fabulous, wonderful, I love them so stinking much 5th grade team.


I am so excited about Charlotte, but I am so sad to be leaving these 5 women. They are all AMAZING teachers who have taught me so much. And they help make my job very fun. I could go on and on. I'll save it for another post! It also makes me sad to know I won't be here when Baby Spud arrives. All the more reason to plan a trip back, I suppose!

11 comments:

  1. What a cute, cute shower idea! So fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute theme for her! The drink sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This cracked me up! I love the idea though - too cute. And the baked potato bar sounds like an awesome idea for any shower.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that drink name! I want to try it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so adorable, what a unique and fun shower! That drink sounds delicious too! OK, now I want potatoes! Have you tried horseradish mashed potatoes? I make those sometimes, and they are delicious, but I will definitely be trying the horsey/sour cream on baked potato now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a cute nickname for a baby and a great cake to match!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cute to do a potato-themed shower for Baby Spud :) I'm sure that she'll get a laugh out of that when she's older!

    That drink sounds wonderful! I'm definitely going to have to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want a crack baby.

    [And yes, I mean the drink. ;)]

    I also love the idea of horseradish and sour cream potatoes...it makes me think of delicious horseradish hummus from Trader Joe's...and now my stomach is growling...

    ReplyDelete
  9. How cute! I went through my baked potato phase but I think I'm over it now :) So glad you had such a good team and teaching experience! That is a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is the cutest baby shower cake ever!! I love it! It looks like it was a great time. I must try that drink!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute shower theme!!

    If Kate Middleton drinks it, so must I ;)

    ReplyDelete