Friday, June 17, 2011

The Last Day

Today is the last day of school.

That means summer is here (hooray!), but it also means it's time to say goodbye to my wonderful workplace.

I am full of mixed emotions this week. I am normally ecstatic over the last week of school, and this year while I feel some of that excitement, I also feel pretty sad. I've only been at this school for 3 years, but the people here have been so important to me. I consider some of them to be very dear friends.

I get asked almost everyday if I'm excited about the move, and of course I say yes! I am thrilled for a new chapter, new adventures. But it is so hard to leave a place that you love. I guess I should consider that to be a blessing. It almost takes me back to college or high school. In both of those scenarios, I was excited for my future and what it held, but it filled me with sadness to leave a place that was "home" for the past few years. I suppose I can look at those situations and remind myself how things worked out. In each of those, I moved on to new adventures that blessed me in new ways. I can only hope that this next adventure works out that well for me.

So today as I say goodbye to my sweet kids and welcome summer vacation with open arms, I'll be doing it with a tear in my eye. How I ever found a school to work in that was filled with SUCH fabulous people, I'll never know. My first year of teaching was anything but a good year. But I moved on. I applied to just about every school within 30 miles of me, and somehow, the stars aligned and I found a school where I would meet some of my closest friends. I am so fortunate.

....time for my next step!

9 comments:

  1. As bittersweet as this is for you, I really am excited for you and this new chapter in your life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lcuk on your new chapter! I'm very close to the teachers I work with, too- hopefully you'll be able to find a fantastic new school where you're moving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lauren! Such a bittersweet ending to this chapter in your life. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck girl! I know God will provide some amazing new adventures for you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to you! And welcome (soon) to North Carolina. It's a great state!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I understand how hard it is to leave a place you have learned to call home. Weighs heavy on your heart, even though you know you have exciting things ahead. Hang in there, and continue to cherish those who enriched this time in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope the last day was amazing! Can't wait to hear about all your new adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aww I know that feeling (in a round about way) SO excited for you and your new adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leaving a great job is always hard, but I have no doubt you'll be able to find it again once you move! I hope your last day was great, good luck getting everything else ready for the big move.

    ReplyDelete