Thursday, July 28, 2011

Chalk Board Jars

Thanks to Pinterest, my arts and crafts wish list is about a mile long. I have so many little projects I want to work on. Some just for fun, some are super functional for the home. I really should delay finding a new job so I can just paint and play with glitter all day. Oh right. I teach elementary school and get to do that already! (I kid....my job is so much more than some crafts!) I'm so excited to share my craftiness with you guys that I even made a button in Photo Shop Elements. 1 -because buttons are always fun and pretty and 2 - because I have too much time and I need to teach myself how to better use PSE.


So fun! Right? Maybe there will be more arts and crafts posts and I can use this button again!

Like I was saying...Pinterest has got my creative juices flowing and I have a craft to share with you all today!

Here was my "pinspiration"



I liked the idea of having some functional jars in our kitchen to help us organize some everyday items, like coffee, flour, tea...you get the idea. During our big trip to Ikea a few weeks ago, we picked up there jars.


We got a few sizes, big and little, the most expensive one being $4.99. Not bad! After a trip to Home Depot for some chalk board paint and a foam brush, I was set (we already had painter's tape).



Using a ruler and some paper to help me make nice right angles, I made rectangle on my jars with the painter's tape...


Why I put our ingredients in the jar before taking on this craft, is beyond me. I guess I was just so excited I wasn't thinking straight. ANYHOW....once the rectangle looked just right, I painted the the rectangle with my chalkboard paint.


A few of them had some "drippage" when I pulled off my tape, but it was nothing that a razor blade couldn't handle. I just carefully picked off the paint that wasn't supposed to be on the jar.

Once all my jars were done and dry, it was time to label them with chalk! And I'll have you know I looked really hard for my chalk. With the new use of dry erase boards in classrooms everywhere, chalk is kind of hard to come by these days. Even in the back to school aisles. After trips to two different Targets, I finally found myself a box chalk so I could label my jars. And once I had my jars labeled, I was tickled with the outcome. How cute are these?


So there you have it! My first "pinspired" craft! I hope there are many more to come. Any Charlotte girls up for a monthly craft club? It's always more fun with friends (and maybe some wine, too!).

14 comments:

  1. Those turned out so cute! I'll have to give those a try some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm laughing so hard at the food being inside the jars prior to them being finished! That's totally something I would have done. They look fantastic. I'm terrible at crafts, but I think I'd enjoy doing them with other people! Let's discuss craft club next week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have some leftover Chalkboard paint from a previous project, this is perfect to use the rest of it up. I'm heading to Ikea once ours gets a little less crazy (it just opened yesterday!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are awesome!!! I 'll admit, Ive been reluctant to get into pinterest - BUT, I was on yesterday and I think....I think.....Im going for it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look so good! What did we do before pinterest?!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are adorable! I love organization and this is too cute. :) Pinterest has definitely made my arts and crafts list a mile long too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it!!

    I spray painted a picture frame (well, the glass) and hung it in my kitchen. The kids draw & write seasonal messages on it. It's so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are adorable! I love them. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea, they look fantastic! I definitely need to start completing some of the crafts I have pinned on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Christine T.W.7/28/11, 11:00 AM

    Umm... I am going to steal this idea. I bought chalkboard labels and labeled my jars that way, but I am going to use your idea for jars I have at school. I used chalkboard markers--have you heard of them? They're great! Got them at Michaels.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The jars look fantastic! I love organized it makes everything!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are fantastic! I would love to work on more "pinspired" crafts if I could just find the time! Can't wait to see what other projects you find!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely cutesy idea ever!!! Love the look and creativity that you get to DIY!!!

    ReplyDelete