Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Our 4th Weekend

This past weekend was our first full weekend in Charlotte. It was also the first weekend in a long time that J didn't have to make a 6 hour drive twice in one weekend. He was probably more excited about that than me. So how did we spend our first weekend together in our new city? Well...

Saturday morning we got up early and visited Ikea! This is the first time I've lived in a city with Ikea (plus about 50 other stores we didn't have in Norfolk, I am so pumped about the shopping here!).


After spending about 2+ hours wandering around the maze in this store, we headed home to put all of our new purchases to use. Most of our finds were little things for the house. I'll share about a few in the future. Here's one we've already put to good use. We got a 2x2 expedit shelf in white to use as a TV stand. We liked the idea of using this shelf for a tv stand, but then realized our DVD player wouldn't fit anywhere on the shelf. That's when we found this $6.99 shelf you see on the wall that would work perfect as a home to our dvd player. We're quite pleased with our cheap "entertainment" center.


When we returned from Ikea, there was a big box on my front porch that had this inside...


My Dyson Animal!! I have been wanting one of these for years (pretty much since the day I brought Layla home back in 2007). With 2 big dogs who shed, I've known that I needed a better vacuum to assist me in my daily battle to fight dog hair. This past spring our upper grade teachers had to do mandatory tutoring after school. I was not crazy about having to stay after for 4+ hours every week, but they did pay us. I decided to put all that "extra" money to my vacuum. It made the tedious afternoons seem a little more bearable! And the best part, J found me a super deal on woot.com which is how I got it for a cheap (for a Dyson) price. It's like my new baby...I love it! (I can't believe I just wrote a whole paragraph about a vacuum...my apologies!)

On the 4th, my friend from home who lives in Charlotte, Sarah, invited us to a baseball game and tailgate with a bunch of her friends. We were happy to have an invitation to go out for the holiday and to meet some people. There was a big storm which delayed the game by almost 2 hours, but we still had a lot of fun!


After the game we went back to the parking lot and sat outside and watched the fireworks. It was a great show, but my favorite part was the fact that you could tune in to a local AM station and they had a "soundtrack" to accompany the fireworks show. It was a lot of "freedom music," as I like to call it. Lots of Toby Keith and other country songs about freedom and red, white, and blue. Rather cheesy, but so perfect for a 4th fireworks celebration!


My fireworks pictures could use some work!

9 comments:

  1. I'm sure vacuuming isn't such a bad chore anymore, right?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought the same vacuum a couple of months ago and it's made vacuuming so much easier. We don't have pets but it still rocks my world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that you're loving NC! I've never been to the Ikea in Charlotte, but I definitely think it would be worth the 3 hours drive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are getting acclimated to the new city! Love the entertainment center. I never go to Ikea outside of DC because of traffic. It's sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so jealous of your Ikea and your sweet new shelf!

    Glad you enjoyed your 4th and your first full weekend in Charlotte! The game looks like it was fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Note to self: save up money & rent a Uhaul for visiting Rachel. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The photos of the baseball field are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm totally jealous of your close distance to ikea! I love that place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Christine W.7/8/11, 3:31 PM

    Rachel, I just bought the same white IKEA shelf yesterday! The only difference is that I bought black wicker baskets since it's for Scott's Steelers cave. Charlotte is looking more and more attractive...

    ReplyDelete