Sunday, July 24, 2011

Spices Organization







With all of our cooking that we do, we have accumulated quite the spice collection. We have a nice standing spice holder that we got for our wedding, but it only holds about 20 spices, and there are so many more in our collection. In our old home we kept them on a shelf directly above the stove...


This system worked because a) the shelf was already there b) it was a tiny kitchen and we made do with the space we had. I didn't LOVE this system, mainly because it was hard to see the spices. I often had to dig around to find what I needed. Kind of a pain.

Now that we're in the new house, when setting up the kitchen I was determined to find a system that works a little bit better. This kitchen is slightly bigger and it has tons of storage options for us. In the kitchen we have a Lazy Susan in one of the cabinets, and I loved the idea of keeping my spices there, but I realized they'd be hard to identify when looking at them from above. This was nothing a little masking tape and a Sharpie couldn't solve!


I spent an afternoon on the couch watching TV and labeling all my spices. When finished I put them on the top shelf of the Lazy Susan. Aren't they so easy to identify now? This is what I see when I open my cabinet and spin the LS...


Easy peasy and now I can find my spices in a flash! I am sure I could have made it look nicer by printing cute labels, but really, I didn't care too much about that. Just wanted to able to quickly find them. And while we're looking at my kitchen, I want to share this funny drawer. It's in the corner or the cabinets. I've never seen one like it before. Kind of funny!

8 comments:

  1. I would love to have a Lazy Susan! How nice. And that corner drawer IS interesting - I've never seen one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so wish I had a lazy susan! They create so much storage space! And I love your spice organization, a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That drawer IS funny, but really, a greta use of space. I havent had a lazy susan in years. I miss on ;) Love the organization! I love all organization though. My spices sure could use some love. Maybe I will do that this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. My spices are above the stove and they are so crammed in there I don't even know what all I have! I need to organize, thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great idea. I always have tons of random spices that I buy for recipes, but don't use all the time.

    That little drawer is neat too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting drawer! I guess it's a great use of otherwise dead space though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. I have a spice rack, but like you said- it doesn't hold much, so I put what I use most in there, and everything else in a cabinet. That drawer is funny- good junk drawer space I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so funny, I have a drawer just like that! I didn't know what in the world to do with it, so I rolled up dishtowels in mine!

    ReplyDelete