Thursday, August 4, 2011

Fabric Bookshelf

After showing you my pinterest inspired jars last Thursday, I think it's time to show you project #2! Another crafty project, but this time it's furniture related.


I couldn't resist. I wanted to use my fancy button again!

When I moved into my house for my one year of graduate school back in the summer of 2006, this old bookshelf was hanging out and the other girls didn't want it so I kept it. At the time it was navy blue (I think?). I decided to go with this mint green color. It actually looked horrible in my room, but I went with it anyway. Who knows what I was thinking.


Here we are 5 years after I chose to paint my shelf green. For the past few years it has been sitting in an office where no one really saw it in our house. In the new home I decided I wanted it by the front door to serve as a sort of landing area for all of our stuff (keys, phone, stuff that comes through the door with me). However, I quickly knew if it was going to be in our living room, it would need a makeover. Not only was my original paint job lousy, but our walls in the living room are sage. They look terrible with the mint green.

So...this is where pinterest comes in to save the day! After seeing lots of bookshelves with fabric or patterned wallpaper in the back, I knew that's what I wanted to do with my shelf. Here are some of my pins that were my inspiration:







And this pin is actually where I found my tutorial...HERE

I first visited Home Depot where I bought my paint. I went with Behr Moonlight White. After purchasing my paint, I visited the oh-so-wonderful Hobby Lobby (another BIG plus for moving to Charlotte!). At Hobby Lobby I got my fabric (1 yard), some foam board, and spray adhesive.

Before worrying about the inside of my shelf and the fabric, I painted my shelf. Here it is in each of the stages...




You'll notice I didn't paint the back of the shelf. I primed it without thinking, but then it occurred to me that I'd be covering it with fabric.

After the shelf was nice and dry, we brought it inside. I then measured the inside of each shelf and cut foam board to fit perfectly inside. The foam board was actually a little too short by about 3 inches, so I had to cut multiple pieces and duct tape them together. It ended up being fine doing it this way. As you can see, it's not cut perfectly, but it really didn't matter once the fabric was on there.


After this, I cut my fabric to cover the foam board. I then sprayed the board with spray adhesive and pressed the fabric on top.


After spraying, I folded the edges of the fabric back and used a regular stapler to adhere the extra flaps of fabric to the back of the board.


Here's what the back looked like when everything was all stapled and glued down.


Then, this was the easiest part, I just popped my boards into place on the shelf. Since I measured them to fit exactly in there, they just slide in stay in place perfectly. And the finished product? Here it is! I love how it turned out!



And that's it! This was a fairly simple project that made a huge change! I love that it fits in with the room better, and even more, I love how cheap and easy it was! What do you think?

21 comments:

  1. I love this! We must discuss the craft club tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness gracious, I just LOVE it! You're so darn crafty! And I will agree, Hobby Lobby is a huge plus of Charlotte. Except that, like Chick-Fil-A, I always get a hankering to go on Sunday when they're not open. Love HL though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, you are too cute. This looks SO great!! Nice job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Girl, this is amazing! I am loving your arts + crafts posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is genius, genius, genius! I'm pinning immediately!

    We have these built-in bookshelves upstairs that I've been dying to wallpaper but have been worried about (a) the skillz required to do such a thing, and (b) the Resale Factor... This is the absolute perfect solution!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, LOVE this!! Totally need to do this with some of our existing bookshelves.

    P.S. What is your friend M's blog? I need to bookmark it. Thanks. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! It looks really cute.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it! What a great way to dress up a bookshelf. I think I will have to try this myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE that!! I love the fabric and I love the way it turned out!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! What an easy makeover for a bookshelf!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cool (and easy!). Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love it! The fabric you chose is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been wanting to paint behind our bookshelf a fun color, but this might be even better. It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love it! It looks great and you make it looks so easy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Way to go lady! It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cute! It looks so easy too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are turning into quite the crafty lady - it looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your bookcase looks great! I did this with two bookcases flanking an armoire in the kids' playroom. It was dark wood and the baskets to hold the kids' stuff were dark, so I really needed fabric to brighten it up. I loved the way it turned out and it IS so easy. Best part is you can change it on a whim (which I tend to do)!

    I needed to see this today to remind me get me in gear to do the same for my wall unit! Thanks. :)

    Sophisticated Steps

    ReplyDelete
  19. This on my list of things to do to one of our bookcases. Good to know it wasn't too difficult. Love the way yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun idea! You made it look so easy, and it turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah!! Love love love this! Great fabric and great tutorial! I've been wanting to try something like this in my office. I might just be inspired to do it now!

    ReplyDelete