Saturday, August 6, 2011

"It's not a tuma"

This past week I started seeing spots in my right eye.

I ignored it on Wednesday. I did a little bit of googling (always the best idea) and realized it was either harmless or it was my retina detaching from my eye. I convinced myself that it had to be the harmless spots.

I went to bed Wednesday and told myself that I'd wake up Thursday and everything would be fine and back to normal. Not so much. Thursday morning I was still seeing spots and things were a little hazy. I also noticed by evening that I was seeing a halo around lights, only with my right eye. I made the dumb decision of asking twitter if anyone has ever experienced this. I got a lot of positive comments telling me yes, they'd seen it. Some people said they've had it related to migraines, some said they have experienced it after being on a computer for a long time. But then of course I did get a comment or two telling me it could very well be a TUMOR. That always makes one feel great.

Friday morning I woke up still seeing "floaters" and with hazy vision. Almost like I could see little cobwebs when I looked at a white surface. After calling my mom and telling her about this, she insisted I call a doctor. That's sort of trickier than it sounds due to the fact that I'm still on my old health insurance which is only good for private practices in Virginia. My new insurance doesn't kick in until Sep. 1. So my choices were A) Freak myself about my possible brain tumor between now and Sep. 1 or B) Pay out of pocket to see an Ophthalmologist and let them check it out.

I went with choice B after I had convinced myself that I was definitely dying of a brain tumor or some other serious eyeball issue.

When I walked into my room with the nurse, I immediately began to cry when she asked about my symptoms. Thank goodness for this sweet, southern woman (she had a thick North Carolina accent) who gave me a big hug and a box of tissues. She quickly started telling me stories about her own eyes to make me feel better. She then brought me a helpful brochure on "floaters and flashers" (because we all know brochures from the doc are always way more encouraging than the internet that always says "could be fatal").


When the doctor came in I was able to hold it together and not cry in front of him (I'm such a baby slash crazy hypochondriac). After doing a few different checks on my eye he gave me a diagnosis. I have posterior vitreous detachment. A disorder that occurs in people in under 50 only 10% of the time. PVD=I might look 27 but my body secretly hates me.


The good news: I know what's wrong with my eye and I don't have a tumor. I am still seeing spots and the doc said I might be seeing them for the next week or the next month. He said that's okay. He is a little alarmed that I'm so young, but told me I'll be okay.

The bad news: PVD puts me at risk of my retina detaching. YIKES! I asked what I can be doing to prevent this and he said, "No head banging, bumper cars, or roller coasters." Got it doc. I can steer clear of those activities. It will be hard to resist a rousing afternoon of bumper cars with friends, but I'll do my best to refrain. He told me to call immediately if my symptoms got worse, but in the meantime, just take it easy (ie: no bumper cars) and come back in 6 weeks.

So...that's what's been going on with me. Lots of eyeball drama, and for once my hypochondriac tendencies weren't totally off. I am not necessarily dying, but I'm glad I was concerned enough to see a doctor. Now I know I have to stay away from head banging concerts for the next six weeks!

20 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, that must have been so scary for you! I'm so glad it's not a "tuma!" I'd be pretty bummed about the no roller coaster rule. I mean, not that we're jetting off to Disney anytime soon but I'd like to know that I at least have the option of riding one if I wanted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, that's definitely scary but at least you know you don't have a tumor and that you can be doing things to not escalate it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you're okay! That is definitely scary. Of ALL doctors, the eye doctor is my least favorite. I hope the floaters go away before school starts! Take it easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad everything worked out! Floaters and flashers sound pretty entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you went to see an opothomalogist! Definitely comforting to finally know what it was. Eyes are not something you mess with since you only get two of them! Wishing your eyes lots of rest my dear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say that all the time "It's not a tuma!" Haha! Most people look at me like I'm crazy! ;)

    I'm so glad you've got some peace of mind! Hoping that eye gets on board and gets back to normal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh no! I am sorry you had to go through that but I am glad its nothing too serious. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh no! so sorry that you are dealing with that but glad it is not a tumor!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh no! How frustrating about your insurance. So glad to hear it isn't a tumor.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is SO scary but I'm very glad it's not a tumor!! Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes! I'm glad you went to the doctor - and I'm glad you have a diagnosis - now it's something you can watch for in the future too.

    I hear you on the being 27 and my body hates me. In the past two weeks I've had heat exhaustion and might have a messed up miniscus. What is up with the world?!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh dear so scary! My did in lAw actually went thru very similar thing when pregnant and it fid begin to detach ;(. Keep an eye on it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! Well good to know it's not a "tuma" - you poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that is crazy! I too seem to get the most random illnesses/conditions. Good luck with your bumper car free lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So scary! My Dad had a retina detachment a couple of years ago and had to go the ER. It was scary for him but he's OK now. He does see more floaters now than before.

    Hang in there hun!

    PS - I get all worked up about stuff / am a hypocondriac too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. First of all, the shelf looks amazing!
    Secondly, what a scary moment! I'm glad that all seems to be well. Detaching retinas typically occur in older people. My grandmother (on one side) lost her eyesight in her right eye while serving the dinner following my grandfather's funeral (other side of the family) 3 years ago. We don't do anything normal ... and after some terrible doctor experiences there was nothing they could do. Now, at 80, her other retina is starting to detach as well. But it's all in how you choose to look at things. She has a wonderful sense of humor.

    Hope you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good thing you got it checked out. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't blame you for being scared, eye health can be a really scary and confusing thing!

    A few months ago I found out that my retina became slightly raised. I went from perfect vision to glasses for distance in just a few months, and I cried like a baby in the doctor's office.

    Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yay, you can come to my "It's not a tumor" party!
    I have similar things happening with my eyes. The extra floaters are really annoying. Now googling PVD to see if I have it too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Scary stuff! My mom had a detached retina. She had laser surgery and it was fully reattached with no complications. But still, it was really worrisome.

    ReplyDelete