Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Teacher Week: Classroom Tour!


Day 3 of Teacher Week! Today's theme: Where It All Goes Down Wednesday...in other words, my favorite part of Teacher Week...CLASSROOM TOURS!


My new room has been a challenge, to say the least. Last week I filled trash can after trash can with JUNK from the previous teacher. And when I say junk, I really mean junk. 20 tuna cans, plastic lids from a restaurant takeout boxes, old bottles of cold medicine, drawers full of candy wrappers...it was bad. Very bad. But after many hours of purging and cleaning, I was able to unpack some of my own boxes and make the room my own.

If you're ready, we'll begin the tour now!

Before you come in, you'll see this in the hall! It's driving me crazy those 2 pieces on the left side, but when your roster changes at the last minute, that's what happens I suppose!



Here's my door. I love the storage drawers that are just to the left of the door in this picture. I've never had a piece of furniture like this and I'm loving it. It's perfect for posters and construction paper. The top drawer is full of all sorts of knick knacks.



This is a close up of my jobs poster. I've used it all 4 years, so it's on it's 5th year. It's held up well! Feel free to share some of your class jobs below. I'm always looking for new jobs to add for my kids!



This is the right side of the room. You can see some of the desks and my computers in the background.



Teacher "stuff!" This is how the last teacher had it set up above the AC unit in the classroom. I like that it's out of the way.



At my last school we were all required to have a "Friend and Family" board and I decided to bring that with me. On here the kids can all bring in a picture of them and their family/friends. It helps make everyone feel welcome and like they're a part of the group. It's also fun to let the kids share about their photo the first day or two.


Here's my math board. It will eventually be my math word wall. As we work our way through the first unit, we'll be adding our terms to the wall.

And right beneath the future word wall...


This is just a small organization tip for upper grades...at our open house, most the students brought in their supplies. I had bins and tubs all over the room so the kids could put their supplies away themselves. It gave them a job to do while I got to talk to parents, and it makes my life a lot easier to let them sort it!



My new partner and I are doing a positive spin on the typical "red, yellow, green" cards. We have a pocket for each child that starts the week with no cards. As the week progresses, they have the opportunity to add cards to their pocket (for instance, a pink card is for showing caring or kindness to a classmate). At the end of the week, there are rewards for those who earned the most cards. We're hoping this will encourage positive behavior among the class.



SmartBoard! My love!



My desk and little corner of the room...
From the other side...


This is on top of the book shelf back by my desk. My loved ones! Also love my pretty, new lamp from Ikea that's back there. I like having lamps in my classroom and turning off those fluorescent lights from time to time.



And then under neath that shelf you find this...lots of important items down here that I use regularly. Trying my best to stay organized this year!


And that's it!! I still have a few little things to work on today before the kids start TOMORROW! I cannot wait. I met them yesterday at Open House, and I'm really looking forward to this year.

If you have any questions about items or products, or just general set up questions, please feel free to leave them in a comment. I'll do my best to respond.

Thanks for touring my room!

27 comments:

  1. CUTE classroom! You did a great job and I think your kids are going to LOVE it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the positive spin on the behavior cards. Our school is PBIS so I can't really justify flipping cards for BAD behavior but the good behavior is awesome! Your room is great.

    msnoren.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your classroom looks awesome!! It is so organized and colorful.
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel - you did a wonderful job! The children will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! Kind of makes me want to go back to school! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love seeing all these classrooms. You did a great job! I just hate it when teachers leave and leave behind such a mess. I love your math word wall, may need to incorporate that for my 3rd graders.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your classroom looks great! I love the Friends and Family board! I also put my kiddos to work sorting supplies on back to school night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like your roster bulletin board, I may have to try a version of that somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a cute idea for behavior. I'm remaking my "rainbow" where kids start on green and can either work their way up or down the rainbow. Red is outstanding, which I love!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the Friends and Family board! That's such a fun idea! The classroom looks great! Good Luck tomorrow! I know you're going to have a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your idea for the colored cards for positive reinforcement of good behavior. What a great spin on the traditional red/yellow/green cards. Your students are going to love you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your room looks great!!! So warm and inviting! The kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Rachel- Do you leave the Family and Friends bulletin board up all year or only for the first month of school? Great job, so colorful. Thanks- Sarah

    http://sktriebel.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love so many things about your room...but one thing just jumped out at me (and it wasn't even anything you talked about. Ha! The multiples of each number inside the number is GENIUS! I want to share that with our 3rd and 4th grade teachers!! You don't by any chance have a digital copy of them do you??

    Katie
    Katieadelle@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun room! Hope you have a great first day!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it! Very organized and user friendly. I LOVED my Promethean board too-our county piloted them six years ago when they came out and we were obsessed with making lessons on them-do you belong to Promethean Planet? Tons of great flipcharts-
    I just resigned to stay home with my two kids after 9 years of teaching. Your classroom makes me miss it so much! I may be ready to go back next year. There is nothing better than loving your job, which I think MOST teachers definitely do!
    Best thoughts for a SUPER year!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fun room! I don't ever remember my classrooms being that colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your room is great! I would love to be a student in there!

    Katie
    Adventures of a 6th Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really love your idea for the behavior cards, can't wait to hear how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looooove the numbers above your math board and how they have the multiples in them! Where oh where did they come from?

    Lizacteach@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great classroom and nice job on the organization! :) Good luck for a great school year!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your room is so clean! And organized! You are already off to a great start - hoping you have an amazing year!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your class room looks great! That's crazy that the previous teacher didn't throw out her tuna cans, etc!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hello again! I finally finished my classroom, and I incorporated and Friends and Family board. I blogged about it and gave you credit for the idea. Hope you'll stop by!

    smithinfifth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your room is adorable! I can tell you spent a lot of time. I love all the storage ideas too. This makes me miss being in elementary school.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your room! Thank you so much for sharing your open house tip. That is just pure genius. I also love your math wall. Thank you for sharing!

    Misty
    Think, Wonder, & Teach

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love the number cards you have above your math word wall! Where did you get those???
    Ruthanne rarace81@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete