Monday, August 22, 2011

Teacher Week: Meet the Teacher Monday

Last year I participated in Teacher Week on Abby's blog. This year Teacher Week has moved to Blog Hoppin', a new teacher resource blog.

  • Here I am last year on the first day of school. My first day for this year will be Thursday! Be on the lookout for a picture...
  • I went to college at James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA where I felt like I was enrolled in a fabulous teacher prep program (5 year program that earned me my MAT). I had a wonderful experience there.
  • This will be my fifth year teaching. My first year I taught third grade in a Title I school in Virginia. After one year at that school, I transferred to a new school division in Virginia where I taught fourth grade for two years, and then last year I looped up to fifth with kids. This upcoming year in North Carolina, I'll be moving back down to fourth.
  • I have taught and departmentalized teams, and I've taught all subjects in a self contained setting. I love both, for very different reasons. This year I'll be departmentalizing again and only teaching math, science, and writing.
  • My favorite read alouds for my students are: Tuck Everlasting, Hana's Suitcase, The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane (all of which I think everyone should read, teacher or not a teacher!).
  • Math is my favorite subject to teach. My old school division used Everyday Math and we had to use just that. I liked parts of EM, and hated parts of it. This year I'm using Investigations. Don't know much about it. Anyone use it? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
  • I don't like to eat cafeteria food (unless it's corn dog nuggets or a baked potato).
  • My first year of teaching was exceptionally challenging. I cried just about everyday.
  • I love using technology in my classroom when it's useful. Don't love using it just to use it.
  • I absolutely adore my SmartBoard. LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
So that's me as a teacher, in a nutshell! Excited to meet some new teachers this week!

18 comments:

  1. I know this will be a great year for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, I'm so happy teacher week ia back! Good luck getting everything ready this week, I can't wait to hear how your first few days go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I teach 5th in VA, and I LOVE using Investigations. I think if you liked EM for being standards based, you'll like the questioning and inquiry in Investigations. I think it's much better paced than EM. Good luck in your new school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are the cutest teacher EVAH! This year is going to ROCK! New place, new city, new school! I am so excited for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish math was my favorite subject. I'm just not good at it and I don't get it! I was so happy when I took PreCalc as my last math class in High School. I loved senior year not worrying about math! But, then I had to take Math for Business 1 and 2 and Statistics in college. Thank goodness my roommate was good at statistics or I wouldn't have passed! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I taught 1st grade in CMS and used Investigations. It was okay...but I had to pull a lot of other things in to cover everything. It might be different in the upper grades. Good luck this year!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use Investigations! It came with our enVision Math. I teach all the 5th grade math at my school. I'm glad I stumbled on your blog today...CU-TE!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cute blog! Enjoy your year with your 4th graders. I teach 5th grade and love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Found you through the Blog Hop- I teach 4th in GA and we use Investigations. I feel iffy about it- I do love the questioning and discussions, but I really have to pull from other resources to cover all standards and to get enough practice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish I had taken a first day of school picture of myself! I read Tuck Everlasting with my students last year and cannot wait to read it with them again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first year was so hard too, I was just lucky to have such good mentor teachers. And really...does anyone like to eat cafeteria food?? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found your blog through the Blog Hoppin linky, and I love it! I used Investigations the last two years and I loved it. I feel like the learning is really in-depth for the kids. Plus, the games are great! Best wishes this year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice to meet you! I taught in NC my first year...it's a lot different out there than it is here now but I liked the experience. I look forward to reading more from you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I taught Investigations in fourth grade and I liked it, although it is very scripted. The activities are great but you may need to supplement depending on the group of kids you have. I use Think Math! now in fifth grade and it's another very scripted program but the exploration concepts, similar to Investigations, are great. I have never used Everyday Math but Investigations has been the easiest to use from what I've taught. Good luck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I teach 4th grade in VA, and I want to know more about Investigations. We're supposed to be adopting new math curriculum halfway through the year (annoying that we're not starting with what we'll finish with), so I need ideas! I love these links because I'm finding other 4th grade teachers to get ideas from!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Brief thoughts on investigations: way too open ended for me...our school found that it wasn't rigorous enough. Now we use math in focus and I rarely go back to investigations for an activity! Just be careful bc it's easy to lose the high standards in it! Hope your first day goes great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm teaching 4th and using Investigations too :) When I student taught I used both Investigations and Cathy Fosnot. I liked the Fosnot more, but Investigations isn't too bad. Which unit are you starting with? I'm starting with "Shape of the Data."

    ReplyDelete
  18. Tuck Everlasting! I read that book in 5th grade. Still love that story.

    ReplyDelete