Thursday, August 25, 2011

Teacher Week: Three for Thursday

In addition to it being day 4 of Teacher Week, today is also my first day of school! Hopefully all will go well with no mishaps. I always say, as long as I get them home safely the first day, I've done my job. I can do it!

For today's theme, I am supposed to link to one font I love, one blog I love, and one online resource I love.

FONTS
This is sort of hard for me because I really don't design much with super cutesy fonts. My main reason is my school computer (new and old) do not allow me to download any fonts. It's rare that I create things on my home computer, which means I have to use the standard fonts that come with my computer. Maybe while reading some of your blogs today I'll get some great ideas and places to download for my home computer.

If I really did have to pick a font, I'd say one of the fonts over on Kevin and Amanda's Font Blog. She shares some of the cutest "handwriting" fonts. And they're all free! I'm sure a lot of you have used their blog before, but if you haven't, go check it out. It's amazing how many cute fonts you can find there!


BLOGS
My favorite blog for educators is Free Technology for Teachers by Richard Byrne. It's a HUGE resource for me. I'm constantly finding all sorts of neat sites and resources for using technology in my classroom. His blog is fantastic.


ONLINE RESOURCE
Lately, my biggest online resource has been Pinterest. It's amazing the number of teacher resources that have been "pinned" on there. I especially love this gal's collections of pins. They're so well organized and she has HUNDREDS of great ideas within her boards.

For you SmartBoard users, one of my former professors at JMU has a GREAT site full of SmartBoard lessons, all are free: Harvey's Homepage! Most are geared toward math, but not all. Lot of fun games here, too!

And finally......Worksheet Works. I'm not big on pencil and paper in my class, but this site has saved my butt before to come up with work to leave with a sub on short notice. Again, everything here is free!

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Cannot wait to check out all of your blogs later tonight (or let's be real, it'll probably be this weekend when I'm not so tired!). I love finding new blogs and online resources to help me be a better teacher. Sharing is caring!

8 comments:

  1. Good luck on your first day teaching! I just caught up on your move to Charlotte! Love your house and congrats on the job!

    I live in Charlotte too and its a wonderful city!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your first day of school went well!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your first day was awesome and that you have a good group of kiddos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your cool links!! I'm Ashley Scott's mom and I taught for years in CMS. (I am teaching in private school now.) I hope it won't be too stressful for you & you have a great year! :) I know Wanda Underwood really well. She teaches kindergarten at OP. So if you need anything or have any questions, I know she would help you out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I live in OP, but don't have kids. You landed at a great school...congratulations! I used to train teachers how to use SMART Boards...what a great product.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never heard of Worksheert Works before, it looks perfect! I hate giving worksheets too, but always sturggle to come up with enough practice materials for a sub!
    Hope your first few days were a success!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought of you today! While stuck in Richmond today (thanks to Irene) I read "Mockingbird" by Kathryn Erskine. While it's for grades 4-6, I'm not sure if it's quite approrpriate. However, I think you'd love it! The writing is beautiful... and it just breaks my heart and heals it all at the same time! Just wanted to let you know!

    ReplyDelete