Monday, August 1, 2011

welcome august


Big things are happening this month in my life.

Not only am I enjoying fresh cherries, as seen above, but I'm preparing for my first day of school at my NEW job.

That's right. I am a North Carolina teacher now. After a lot of resumes, and a lot of cover letters, a lot of wasted money*, and a lot of frustration, I have a job here. I'll be teaching 4th grade, and I think I'll just be teaching math and science.

So, here we are in August. I have about 2 weeks of summer let, and I plan to soak 'em up before jumping in head first at a new job.

This month we've got another weekend planned to visit our friends' cabin in Lexington, and I plan to get a few more projects done around the house before school starts. I just finished one this morning that I can't wait to share!

Happy August!

*I thought I had to take a different Praxis II test for my NC teaching license than I had to take in VA. I signed up for the tests, and when it was all said and done, the test price came out to $300. Upon further investigation, turns out I didn't need to the test. That's a good thing because I remember nothing about Piaget and Erickson and I probably wouldn't have passed. Bad news is I only got $150 of the money back. Obtaining this job is turning out to be a costly affair. I have to pay out of pocket for a physical and TB test this week out of pocket because my old insurance doesn't cover me here, but my new insurance doesn't kick in till September. Seriously...this whole finding a job thing can be expensive!

23 comments:

  1. Hooray for August ... and hooray for your new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the job!! I was hired for my first position at the end of July & remember how nervewracking it was. Also have a friend who just switched to teaching from another career, still can't find a job & has to move in with her parents. Seriously, what is wrong with schools?? Congrats to you though my friend!!! Can't wait to hear all about your new school & job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats Congrats Congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if I have mentioned it to you before but I am also a teacher in NC. Congratulations on your new job and enjoy your last two weeks of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How frustrating!! But, yay for a new job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the new job! Enjoy the end of your summer days!

    ReplyDelete
  7. congratulations on your new job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. yay congrats on the job!! so exciting!! i have an interview tomorrow. soooo nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yippee! Big Congrats on the new job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you getting a new teaching job! I don't know how things are there but it is ridiculously hard to get a job in Richmond! I had a fifth grade interview and I'm crossing my fingers for the job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the job! I have been applying for jobs like CRAZY but no bites yet. It is so expensive with paying for fingerprinting and TB tests. California loves giving us hoops to jump through.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Christine T.W.8/1/11, 3:15 PM

    Wow, Rachel! Congrats on getting a job! I know how hard it's been to find teaching jobs... If I ever move, I am going to have to start looking for jobs a year ahead of time. I'll be calling you for tips! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on the job! And, thanks for the info, too...you know I'll be bugging you in another year about NC teaching reqs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yay! So excited for you! Here's hoping for a wonderful new school year for Miss Rachel! :) Enjoy the rest of your summer!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! I'm sure this is a huge weight lifted off your shoulders.

    Those cherries look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations on the new job! I also just got a new job teaching fourth grade here in Chicago--but the opposite subjects as you; I'll be doing reading and language arts only. I am excited to hear about your new school year!

    (Also, I absolutely love your blog!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations on the new job! That is super exciting! I am student teaching in 4th grade this year- and I may need to pick your brain for ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  18. YAY! Congrats!! Hope you enjoy 4th grade!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congratulations on your new job!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those cherries look AMAZING. Jealous. And I might need to run to the stores for cherries.

    Anyways, congrats on the new job! Sorry it's costing you an arm and a leg - boo!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That's fabulous you got a new job!!! Congrats!!!! It's definitely something to celebrate in my book! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. ok, so I'm totally blowing up your comments :) this is random, but did you take that picture??? it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congrats on getting a job! That's great!!!

    ReplyDelete