Tuesday, October 4, 2011

ribbon wreath

I recently made the trip Columbia to visit my friend Erin for a crafting day.  Erin has been a blog buddy for awhile, and since moving to Charlotte, we've had to the chance to get together a few times. It's fun to just be a few hours apart!  

Not long after I moved down here, we thought it would be fun to have craft day.  A day of just girl time  and crafts (and maybe some Starbucks salted caramel mochas, too!).   Erin found a tutorial for a ribbon wreath over on Molly's blog, and I was sold! I have been wanting a purple and gold wreath for awhile (ahem), and so I headed to Hobby Lobby and stocked up on all the purple, yellow, and gold that I could find!


And the best part? The ribbon was all 50% off last week! All of the ribbon plus my styrofoam wreath cost me under $25.  

I won't walk through the tutorial step by step since Molly and Erin both already did a great job with that.  See their blogs for step by step directions.  Instead, I'll just throw in a few of my own tips that I learned along the way. 

Here's my plain wreath wrapped in it's base ribbon. I used a sheer ribbon for the base, so after I wrapped it, it sort of had a striped look.  This didn't make a difference because it ended up being completely covered by the end of the project. 



Molly's tutorial said to cut the ribbon in 5 inch strips, and I think she's right on with that number. Don't go longer or it makes the ribbon end up looking floppy.


Pick a big variety of ribbon!  Erin and I both had a great deal of textures, shades, and sizes in our ribbon, and the more variety you have, the more your wreath will "pop" when you're all done!

This is the picture of all my ribbon hot glued into loops. Suggestion to anyone considering making this...buy a LOT of hot glue. I actually ran out and we had to make a trip to Target.  Also, prepare for your fingers to burn, especially if you use a lot of ribbon that's sheer or mesh like.


My only other tip would be to definitely buy some ribbon with wire in it.  I only had a few that had wire, but they did a nice job helping the wreath look full and fluffy.

And now...the final product!


I absolutely love it!



I worked with Erin for about 5.5 hours, then it took me about another hour at home.  This was not a quick craft, but doing it with a friend sure made the time fly.  I am already thinking of color schemes for another one!  And for the record, this is NOT an LSU wreath...it's my JMU wreath!

21 comments:

  1. It looks SO good! You know I love those colors together but the different ribbons and patterns look amazing! Loved working with you! Can't wait for our next project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your wreath! I'm not crazy about the colors, but I think it's very fun. I want it on the next project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute wreath My friend Ashley & I had a crafting weekend this past weekend and we made tulle wreaths that we had seen on pinterest :) They turned out great. I may have to try this kind next! PS: I'm hosting a giveaway on my blog that will have 3 winners, you should check it out! xo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would work great for MY alma mater too!! :) East Carolina University

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a neat idea! I may have to make a UNC themed one for the Brown household.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a cute wreath, great work! I love the idea of doing one in your college colors. I may have to do a UVA one soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. How fun that you have a good friend to craft with!! I can't believe it took so long though! It looks so simple! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! That turned out FANTASTIC! If I could find a few free hours on a weekend, I would love to try it.

    Jen
    Runde's Room

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it...Go Dukes!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. When I first moved to Louisiana, I would see all this purple and gold stuff and get excited that they were cheering for JMU... but quickly realized it was all LSU. I don't care what division our football team is in- purple and gold will always equal the Duke Dogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your wreath looks great! I can't wait to make one!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks SO good, totally worth the amount of time it took becuase you did a great job. Can I ask how much all the supplies cost to make?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Baahahaha was that last comment directed at me? :-) Your JMU wreath looks amazing! I wish I had that much time to spend on projects like this because it must be such a satisfying feeling to finish something beautiful like that for your home. Great job, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh it turned out so fun! I love it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks SO good! I love they way ribbon wreaths look--so fun and festive.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how your wreath turned out, I'm definitely tempted to make one of these in a bunch of pretty spring colors for Easter. If I don't need it 'til then I'll have plenty of time to work on it.... it definitely looks time consuming!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think it turned out looking great!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is super cute! It looks like it took a sweet forever, but I'm sure passing the time with a friend was so much fun! And, everything is cuter with ribbon ;-) I just love it!

    ReplyDelete