Sunday, November 13, 2011

Asheville Getaway: The Biltmore

This past Thursday, J and I piled the dogs into the car, and we headed off to Asheville for the three day weekend. We have been looking forward to this weekend for awhile. We never got to take a vacation this summer due to the fact that J had just started a new job. While this was definitely a bummer, we did enjoy spending the summer exploring our new city.  Early in the fall, we knew we wanted to make a weekend getaway to the mountains at some point this fall, and Asheville sounded like the perfect destination. Neither of us had ever been there, and we've only heard rave reviews from others.  

I think it's safe to say that we both felt like the city lived up to all the wonderful things people had told us.  It was a fabulous 3 day vacation from the real world and our normal routine!

Our weekend was jam packed, so I'm going to spread out my posts.  Tonight's post: The Biltmore!

On Friday, we got up early, stopped to get some hot chocolate and coffee, and then we headed off to The Biltmore. And what a site that was!




I especially loved the Christmas decor on the lions by the front door!

We went on the tour in the house, and as others had told us, it was all very grand. Just beautiful and elegant.  It was crazy to imagine what it would be like living in this home.  We enjoyed the game of trying to figure out if our own home would fit into each room we visited.  There were definitely multiple rooms that would have held our entire two bedroom home!

You can't take pictures inside, but I found some on the web that I just love that give you a peak at how gorgeous the Christmas decorations were inside.  The dining room had a 30 foot frasier fir Christmas tree. It made me feel like a small child standing beside it!



After our tour we explored the gardens that surround the home. It was a chilly day, but actually quite nice for an afternoon stroll.






We walked to a garden across from the house and had to snap this picture.  We are pretending that this is us as we were out house hunting this weekend. Believable, right?


As I took this next picture, there was a couple who was having a picnic on the hill and we are about 99% sure they had just gotten engaged. It was pretty cute watching them. 


After our tour and our walk around the garden, we headed to lunch at Deerpark, a restaurant that sits on the grounds.  It was delicious! It was nice to not have to leave The Biltmore for lunch, and we still got to enjoy a great meal!  


This would be my very full plate of delicious food! It was sort of a mini-Thanksgiving meal to prep us for the real feast in 2 weeks!


After lunch we headed to the winery that they have on the grounds.  We sampled a few wines and enjoyed walking around here.  The sweet girl who was giving us our wine samples offered to take our picture.  Poor J...he often gets his head cut off in pictures. I guess that happens a lot when you're 6 foot 4!


I know that many of you have already visited The Biltmore, but for those of you who haven't, it's worth the trip. We're already talking about how we'd like to go back in the spring to tour the gardens when they're in full bloom.

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read the rest of your recaps. We have friends who just went the weekend before you & loved it. I went years ago with my mom & am dying to go back with my husband!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scott and I love going to Biltmore. His parents actually have year-long passes up there. It's great living so close. I definitely think you should go back in the spring. Scott and I spent out mini-moon up there. If/when you go back, take the horse-back tour. It's amazing... I promise it won't let you down!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd and I have always wanted to go to the Biltmore. After seeing your pictures I will now be begging him to go. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looked so beautiful! What a great fall trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! I really want to go to the Biltmore now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always heard about how beautiful the Biltmore is! I definitely hope to visit someday. Glad you guys had a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've lived in North Carolina almost my whole life and haven't gotten a chance to actually visit the Biltmore! It's sooo pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. AW! How fun! You made me want to visit The Biltmore! My husband is 6'4" too and he's always getting his head cut out of pictures! OH, and I call him J too ;) funny!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love love love Asheville! Last time we went, we didn't make it to the Biltmore, but we'll have to do that next time.

    And I totally know what you mean on the head-cut-off-in-pictures problem. Mr. Smith is 6'4" as well. We can't ever get a decent picture of the 2 of us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't wait to hear about all the other fun things you've done so far too!

    It's always neat to see the big tree for Biltmore being transported on I-40. It's a HUGE truck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am absolutely dying to get up there! We're so close now that I've got to find a way to convince the hubs to make the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've driven by it so many times but never visited. The Christmas decor looks amazing though. Now I really want to visit!

    ReplyDelete