Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Asheville Getaway: Part 3

In addition to visiting The Biltmore and going hiking in the Blue Ridge, we also did a lot of relaxing and eating and drinking in Asheville!

When we started planning our little weekend away, we knew we wanted to bring the pups along.  We found a cabin on VRBO that allowed dogs. It was cozy and secluded, but only about 10 minutes from downtown Asheville.



And everyone enjoyed the relaxing!  


The city of Asheville was adorable (as everyone had warned me). It was one of those little downtowns where everyone street was filled with unique shops and restaurants.  And the fall foliage didn't hurt the charm!


After asking twitter and people I work with for advice on restaurants, we ended up enjoying some fabulous meals!  A few of the places we were really hoping to try out, just didn't end up working due to long waits.  That was a bit of a bummer, but we quickly were able to find a back up!

Thursday evening: We were hoping to have dinner at Tupelo Honey Cafe after hearing many good things. However, with a 40 minute wait out in the cold? I just couldn't do it.  As we were debating where to go, my friend Erin walked by on the street with her husband!  I knew she was also in Asheville for the weekend, but running into her still was a surprise!  She suggested we go to Cucina 24, and man....we're glad she did!  We loved the food, and I was even brave and tried "crispy pig head" with my meal.  That was a first!

Friday: As I mentioned in my Biltmore post, we had lunch on Friday at the Deerpark Restaurant on the estate.  That evening, we went back downtown to have dinner at Table. This was probably my favorite restaurant of the trip.  I had seared scallops with calamari and brussels sprouts.  And for dessert? Chocolate malt cake doughnuts, coconut sorbet, and wet walnuts. Why are there not more restaurants with doughnuts incorporated into the dessert menu? Such a great idea! Only downside to Table? Very poor beer menu. They had nothing in tap, and their bottle selection just wasn't doing it to me.

Saturday: Erin sent me a text Friday evening telling us we had to try Corner Kitchen on Saturday evening if we could get a reservation.  Several people had mentioned this place to me, and we hadn't nailed down our Saturday night dinner, so we decided this would be the spot!  I am so glad we went here. Again, we had a fantastic meal. And we loved their selection of local beers. We had a French Broad Porter that I'm still thinking about.

Sunday: After sleeping in, we got up to enjoy brunch before heading out of town. We went to Early Girl Eatery which I had heard good things about from my friend Laura, as well as Katie and Emily.  There was a long wait, but I think it was well worth it. I had a country ham biscuit and J got a bbq'd pork breakfast bowl. My meal was great, his was....unique?  I think it just had too much going on for my tastes! Overall though, I really liked this little place!  



I can't wait to make another trip back to Asheville!




11 comments:

  1. We're planning to grab lunch at Tupelo Honey Cafe Saturday, hopefully there won't be much of a wait! And we're planning to try Corner Kitchen, too. Glad you liked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you had such a great weekend! Asheville is on my travel wish list so I'm definitely bookmarking your post for restaurant recommendations! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great cabin find! I'm sure the dogs loved getting to come along.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sounds like you ate at some great places!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad you missed Tupelo Honey, it's one of our favorites! It sounds like you found several good substitutes though (which I am now bookmarking).

    ReplyDelete
  6. We went to Tupelo on our recent visit, and ended up waiting an hour in the cold. It was good, but not worth the wait. We went back two more times and both times were an hour wait. (this was Saturday at 8pm, Sunday at 6pm and Monday at 8 am) NOOOOOO reason for that kind of a wait. I was beyond angry. We tried Village Wayside near Biltmore, and it was phenomenal with NO wait! Were the "Occupy Asheville" protestors still there? They totally ruined my impression of downtown Asheville. I'll take a pass on the hippies sleeping on the street, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What fun travels! I LOVE that you love beer, sometimes it feels like I'm the only girl that does :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tupelo is good but you do have to wait forever! There is a little known second location on the south side of town that doesn't have hardly any waiting at all.

    Early Girl is really similar actually, so you probably got all of the feel of Tupelo without actually going there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loved Early Girl Eatery when I was in Asheville! Tupelo Honey Cafe is another good one with a wait. Next time we'll have to try some of your recommendations too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Too bad you didn't get to Tupelo Honey Cafe. But the other restaurants sound just as great! Now I have to find a time to get back down there so I can try them out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a quaint little place!!! AND the pups looks to love it!

    ReplyDelete