Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Asheville Getaway: Saturday Hiking

On Saturday, day 2 of our Asheville Adventure, we drove about an hour away from the city to go hiking right off the Blue Ridge Parkway.  

I love the mountains. Have I mentioned that before?

I lived in the Blue Ridge Mountains in Virginia for 5 years during college/grad school, and at the time I liked it, but I totally took it for granted. I would love to have the chance to wake up to that scenery every morning. 

We went hiking at Graveyard Fields. It wasn't that strenuous of a hike, pretty simple, and it ended with some falls.


The terrain was very odd.  The name seemed really appropriate because most of the hike really seemed like a barren graveyard.




Once we got to the top of the falls, we stopped for a break, took some photos, and ate a snack. 







The falls were pretty icy! Not much running water here.



This would be Rosie and me coming down the mountain. Both of our dogs love the outdoors!


On our way home, we stopped at a few pull offs on the parkway to take some pictures.  I wish we had been 2 weeks earlier. I bet the views of the leaves were just gorgeous then!


So much ice!



This would be why they're called the "blue" ridge mountains...



I will move back to the mountains one day. These views just take my breath away.

OH! And! I'm like a small child and this last photo really excites me...we saw a bobcat!


He was definitely more afraid of us than we were of him.



9 comments:

  1. Gosh I love it up there so much. So pretty!! And that picture of the bobcat is awesome! Glad y'all had a good trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a fun hike! Such pretty scenes! And I love the kitty, er, I mean, Bobcat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally heard that crazy cat call in my head when I read, "We saw a bobcat!" You know what I'm talking about, right? Maybe it's a cougar sound. I don't know. Chuck & Woo Woo from the Point used to play that sound whenever they talked about, well, cougars. Ha!

    Anyways, what a fun hike! I need to take advantage of the Blue Ridge, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG i would've DIED if we saw a bobcat, i'm such a fraidy cat. love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those pictures are beautiful! SO fun!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like so much fun! I'm glad you had a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We've actually never been to Graveyard Fields either - but they look really fun!

    I've heard that in the Spring there are wild blueberries and huckleberries that you can pick up there.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Gorgeous pictures!! Breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The photos look great! Glad you had such a great time!!

    ReplyDelete