Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Card Wreath

It's been awhile since I shared a Pinterest inspired craft on here. With the holidays coming up there are hundreds of cute ideas and recipes I want to try for Christmas.  So far, I've only gotten around to one, but I really love it!  It was definitely trickier and more work than the tutorial made it out to be, but I do feel pretty good about the final product.

Here was my original inspiration:



Here's my supplies ahead of time...only thing I was missing in the photo was my glue gun and a twist tie from the grocery store.  In addition to being one cute wreath, it's also pretty cheap. I'd say the whole thing ran me under $15.


The box is used to hold all of the clothes pins so that you can easily paint them all.  I would have never thought to do it this way.  The box made spray painting so simple.


Thanks to my kind husband for helping me document the whole event by photographing this part!



Somewhere along the way I killed a hornet. I felt pretty tough with my lethal can of spray paint.


Here are the clothespins after 3 coats of paint.  You also have to be sure to pick up the box and spray paint the bottoms of each pin.  If not, the end will have no paint and it's definitely noticeable.


Next came the wire.  You take a coat hanger and basically form it into a circle.  


After this step, all you do it string on the beads and clip on the pins in an alternating pattern. Super simple...or so you'd think. I will say, the pins gave me more trouble than I had expected.  They move all over the place and don't naturally lay flat.  The original tutorial (see the pinterest link above) made it seem like a piece of cake, and this definitely drove me a little batty.

But then here's where I really had trouble. At the end, you leave about 1.5 inches of wire on each side and then overlap them to hot glue them together. Because the wreath doesn't naturally lay flat, this was really tough.  Like, I kind of wanted to scrap the whole thing and give up because I just couldn't figure out how to glue these two pieces of wire together.


But then my engineer husband came up with the brightest idea.

He was my Christmas craft hero! He suggested taking a twisty tie from the grocery store and using that to hold the wires together and then add the glue. This was exactly what I needed to make this work!


Ta-Da!


The twisty tie did the trick!

And now we have....


...over the fireplace. I love the finished product.  An now that we've started to see the Christmas cards roll in, it's beginning to look like this!


I love the finished product and hope it can hold all of our cards this year!

11 comments:

  1. It looks great! I really need to make something like this too because I hate not displaying the cards we receive!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great and what a functional, Christmas decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also saw this cute idea on Pinterest but thought it would be too complicated....you however have inspired me :)

    I have some of the supplies and I'm going to get the rest and see if I can make one like you! hahaha

    Love your blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you... first because this project is amazing, second for slaughtering that hornet mid-project, and third because I see my card up there! (I sent you one of our "special" folding cards we sent to family and some other peeps)

    PS - My J liked your card so much that he said next year we should do that kind. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really cute!!! It looks great, may have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun idea! You should put one in your classroom for Valentine's day so you can display all of the valentine's you get.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is really, really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! I may have to steal that idea next year. It looks so great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is absolutely adorable! You did such a great job recreating this wreath. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did an awesome job! It looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks great! I've been wanting to try this and you've inspired me to go buy the supplies and get to work!

    ReplyDelete