Tuesday, January 10, 2012

branching out...with beer

When moving to Charlotte last summer, I made it my mission to meet new friends and to not turn down social opportunities. I have a really bad habit of talking myself out of events or get togethers because either a) I'm exhausted after a long day or b) I'm shy and nervous.  Option "b" is quite funny to me, because I always considered myself an extrovert.  I loved being around others and never had a hard time meeting new people...but somewhere along the line, probably around the time I left college, I started to find that making friends wasn't so easy anymore and being around new people was really intimidating. I still don't think I'd call myself an introvert, I love time with others and I love big groups, but I am learning that it's not as easy as it once was.

In the past 6+ months of living in Charlotte, I have learned to branch out and make friends through blogging, my job, and funny enough, through beer!  I found a meet-up group when I moved here called "beer babes." It's a meet-up group dedicated to women who love a good craft brew. Is there such a thing as a better group?  I've been going to events since the first week that I moved here, and this past Sunday I attended a fun get together with some of the women.


As expected, it was a wonderful time! This was definitely the biggest of the meet-ups I've attended! There were a lot of women, all who loved beer, and it was a great time! One woman who even brews her own beer brought some of a homebrew she had that was a sweet potato beer. It was fantastic!

So there you go. I'm slowly doing a good job at my mission to make new friends in my new city. I still have a long way to go, but it's happening!

(If you're in Charlotte and interested in a Beer Babes meet-up, here's the facebook page!)

16 comments:

  1. This is AWESOME! I'm in a beer club where my parents live and just love it! Everybody knows where to meet me when I come back into town. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!!! That looks so fun!! I had the same thing happen after college... I think it is because we are not all in the same "place" in life as our peers anymore. Does that make sense? Like we start meeting people at work, etc. who may be single, or may have kids, or may be much older, and it is more difficult to find people who you have a lot in common with.

    And with that, I am thankful for your friendship :) And so glad you found this fun group!! That sweet potato beer sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so cool! How fun!

    I wish I could find something more social around here. Like a book club or something.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so encouraging to me...I'm in a newish town and would definitely describe myself as shy. I get so anxious meeting new people. Thanks for showing me that going for it is worth it. :)

    Also, a beer group is such an awesome idea! Looks like you guys have a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so jealous! You would love the new Yard House in TC! Maybe you can plan a VB visit and I'll take you there :) Miss you tons!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun!! I'm the same way you are about meeting people. Its great you found something in your new city!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay! What a fun group!

    I'm hopefully going to take a cue from you and start putting myself out there to meet new friends for me & C!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is just awesome!! I'm so happy you have met a group of girls to do fun things with. Yum....beer. ;) I wonder if there is a Margarita Group in my city....a girl can dream!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is a big group!! How fun! So glad that you are branching out :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! Too bad I don't live a few hours east of here or I'd totally join in.

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I started teaching, I saw myself being waaaay less extroverted. There's something to be said for having a job where you have to be on for 8 hours a day! I think marriage has also shaped that- it's hard to be motivated to go out when I'm so content to come home and curl up with my husband. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That sounds like such a fun group! What a great way to meet people!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so jealous, this looks like so much fun! We have had the hardest time meeting other young people where we live, I'm desperately praying for a move so I can join a fun group like this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun idea!! I love that you're out tasting all those great beers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How fun! That looks like such a fun group and a great way to meet people.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OK, why isn't there a beer babes group in my town??? You know I would be there.

    ReplyDelete