Monday, January 9, 2012

Menu Monday + My Fitness Pal

This first week of January has kicked my butt. I have been going nonstop since our New Year's Eve getting away, and I'm hoping we start to get back into the routine here.  Despite all the craziness, we have been cooking!  Since it's the new year and I know I've gotten quite a few new readers in the last month or so, here's a link to my menu planning post.  It answers all questions on how we meal plan in our home.

ANYWHO! Moving on to the food!

My Meals:

Maple Soy Glazed Flank Steak with Cucumber Salad


This steak was a fantastic Cooking Light recipe! I am working hard to count my calories using the app My Fitness Pal, and I love that so many Cooking Light recipes are already in the system. It makes counting the calories so much simpler when a meal is already calculated for you. For my cucumber salad, I thinly slice red onions and peeled cucumber, then let it marinate in olive oil and red wine vinegar for about an hour before serving. 


Slow Cooker Char Siu Pork Roast served over Brown Rice and Snap Peas



Another cooking light meal! This one was just...okay. It was a little too "mushy" for me and while the pork was good, I didn't love it. Don't think I'll be making this again.

And this one...we'll call it "my" meals since it was my idea to order it!

Pizza!

Sometimes a pizza night is all you need after a long day! Also, doesn't my hair scream "long day with 10 years olds" in this photo?

J's Meals:


Delicious! J forgot to add the cilantro on top, but I think that would have made it even yummier!




This was great, at home Mexican! This one is not Cooking Light but it comes from the great blog Skinny Taste. A lot of her recipes are also already listed on My Fitness Pal.  Only change we'd make if we do it again...use chicken breasts instead of thighs. I didn't mind the thighs, but I definitely prefer breasts.



I think this is the third appearance of the "green spaghetti" on here, and lie the past 2 times, it was great. Not so calorie friendly (514 calories for a third of the dish...in case you're curious!), but still tasty!

5 comments:

  1. Have you tried real Char Siu? If not, it looks different from your slow cooker recipe. It's amazing stuff. But, it's not waistline friendly, I'm sure. ;)

    LOVE the recipes that you & J make. I've been doing my best to meal plan...especially now that Adam is in school, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like the new year has kicked me in the butt, too. [And I've had a lot of "long day with 10-year-old" hair moments, myself. :)]

    I use myfitnesspal, too. I love that it will calculate nutrition facts for recipes I've invented!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't mind thighs but I prefer breasts.

    He he he.

    I AM TWELVE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love My Fitness Pal! It's hard to track with all the eating out I do though...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that cucumber salad. My mom always made something similar to this and I loved it. It's so summery!

    ReplyDelete