Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My PSA

In the past, I've always posted about my New Year's Resolutions. This year, I didn't do it, but mostly because my resolutions were quite boring (read 12 books, drink more water...blah blah blah).  One of my resolutions that was pretty important to me, was to visit a dermatologist for a skin check.

After seeing this PSA float all over facebook back in the fall, I knew I that this was something I needed to do. As someone who has had many a sunburns in my life and used tanning beds, I knew this was something I needed to do.



This past Friday I made my trip to the dermatologist. And honestly, it wasn't bad at all. I was so nervous going in, mostly because I do a pretty good job at building things up in my mind, good and bad, and cause a lot of anxiety in myself. The check was pretty easy, and although parts were uncomfortable, it was well worth it for my peace of mind.

If you haven't been to a dermatologist to have your skin checked, stop and ask yourself, what's holding you back? If you haven't been to a dermatologist recently, please watch the video and think about scheduling yourself an appointment.

8 comments:

  1. Good decision! I made that appointment last fall and I'm glad I did! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great video!! As a beach person I am BIG on the sunscreen! Glad you got checked out and everything looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My appointment is next Thursday. I'm great at building myself up, too, so, I'm nervous. If you don't mind me asking, what happened during your appointment? I've had moles removed before, the year I graduated high school, but my family doctor had looked at them, said, "Go get these removed." and that's what happened...nothing more, nothing less. I'm thinking this may be different.

    Good for you for going! Thanks for inspiring me to go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved that video and am such a huge advocate for the dermatologist!! I am proud of you for going!

    Yes, full body scans can be quite awkward. And I'd say getting moles removed is pretty low on the Fun Scale (I just had to get a three taken off this month - my back looks like I backed into a knife fight) - but it's so worth it!

    So glad you shared this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! So happy you posted this!! If there's anything I can do (or others can do) is to educate others about skin cancer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really need to do this - I've actually never been to a dermatologist. EEK!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just got a call from my brother this morning that I need to see the derm since he had melanoma removed. Boo but I'm going to be proactive for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'm certainly nervous about the thought of doing such, but the video was a huge eye-opener! Thanks. I have watched it twice and forwarded it on!

    ReplyDelete