Sunday, January 1, 2012

Welcome January (and 2012!)

Happy 2012!

We had so much fun ringing in the new year last night at The Avett Brothers concert. This was definitely a NYE that we will remember!  We had fun sending 2011 out in style!

Here we are before dinner and the concert...

A few cell phone shots from the show.
This 3 hours show was pretty darn awesome.
They are so so talented.  


About a million balloons fell at midnight...


And then we came home today to eat our black eyed peas! I don't like collards, but I sure love black eyed peas. With the right recipe, they're pretty delicious.


I browned some sausage, threw in a can of rinsed black eyed peas and a can of rotel, and then ate it with fritos. I love this dish! My mom makes it more like a dip and buys the frito scoops, but I'm ok eating it with a fork.  Such a healthy way to welcome 2012!



Now it's back to reality. We have to go back to school tomorrow, which makes me sad because this break has been wonderful, but not long enough! And just because I'm curious...if you're a teacher or have kids in school, is your school system going back on January 2? Or are they waiting to go back on the 3rd?

13 comments:

  1. The school system I work for starts back tomorrow...I would LOVE another day off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go back on the 3rd, but went to school all the way through December 23rd.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I am a fellow North Carolinian! Just wanted to say hello and I love your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We go back on the third but our kids don't come until the fifth....I guess we have it good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a fun way to celebrate NYE.

    We go back on the 3rd!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a teacher in Virginia and we go back on Monday :(

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a sub in Virginia, and our school system and the one my brother is in go back on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Our kids go back on the 4th in Northern Louisiana!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My high school in Seattle, WA goes back on the 3rd!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My district goes back Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I work at a Kumon Center and with Upward Bound in a public school district. Each Kumon Center starts at a different time, but mine is going back Tuesday. I think the school district I work in is going back Tuesday too. My parents are also both in education; my mom goes back Tuesday and my dad actually doesn't go back until next Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, you know me...my kids head back tomorrow, the 3rd. Good ole VBCPS! ;) As much as I know you're bummed about returning to work today, at least you had a pretty lengthy vacay!! I'm so glad you & J enjoyed every last moment of it.

    P.S. Is it wrong that I totally want Fritos, sausage, BEPs & Rotel for breakfast?? I think not. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. So fun! It's sad the Avett Brothers were in Greenville instead of Asheville this year.

    ReplyDelete