Tuesday, April 17, 2012

San Diego: Day 2 The Zoo and Searsucker

Alright, as much as I want to post about all things baby, I will finish my trip recap posts. I love having these sort of posts to go back and read after vacations!

On day 2 in San Diego, after our wonderful breakfast at Urban Solace, we headed to the San Diego Zoo! J and I both love zoos and aquariums. Up until this point, I would say the National Zoo in DC has been the best zoo I've ever visited, but this one just blew it out of the water. I was so impressed! It's huge, and although it was packed on the day we visited (a Sunday during spring break), it never felt too crowded. 

We saw baby hippos...




Flamingoes...


Pandas...



Polar Bears...(they were probably my favorites!)




And so many more animals! Plus we had some fun and photo opportunities along the way....





We probably toured the zoo from about 11-4. Around 3:30 I got pretty tired, and when that wave of exhaustion hit me, I was ready to call it a day. We didn't get to see the giraffes (one of my favorites!), but that's okay! It was probably best that we went back to rest up before dinner. We still managed to see most of the zoo during our five hours there. If you make the trip to San Diego, definitely check out the zoo. So much fun, even if you don't have kids!

We went back to the hotel and napped and hung out until our dinner plans at Searsucker. This was another wonderful suggestion from Meme (who also hooked us up with zoo passes! Thank you!). We aren't Top Chef fans, but I gather that this restaurant is run by the former contestant Brian Malarky. This place was busy and bustling for a Sunday night! Definitely a hot spot in San Diego. Great food and neat decor. My only complaint was the really loud music. This is definitely another place I'd suggest if you're looking for a nice meal out in the city! Also loved that it was only about 4 blocks from our hotel.

I still have so much of San Diego to share! Whenever I get around to putting up another post it will be one of my favorite memories from the trip...my meet up on Coronado with the beautiful Newlywed Next Door!

10 comments:

  1. I seriously need to get back to the Zoo. I have not been there in at least 8 years! Crazy. Glad you had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun! All the animals are super cut, but I really like the baby Hippo :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm jealous you got a good shot of the pandas. They are never cooperating when I'm there, and are always hiding.

    We really loved Searsucker, that was definitely the best salmon I've had in a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved the zoo when we went there - there's so many cool animals.

    The NC zoo in Asheboro is not nearly that big, but it is also really cool. They just added a bunch of new stuff and it's only around $10 to get in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I too love the San Diego Zoo and San Diego in general.

    Looks like you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The San Diego Zoo is one of my favorite places ever! We visited every time we went to Southern California to see my in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. San Diego is so much fun, lots to do down there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounded and looked like such a fun trip! I hope you're feeling well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pandas!!!! I have yet to go to a zoo that has them!! So cute!

    ReplyDelete