Tuesday, April 10, 2012

San Diego Trip - Day 1

We flew out to California (by way of Dallas, TX) on Saturday,  March 31. Overall, the travel wasn't bad, but I'm not the craziest about flying. It's not necessarily a fear of flying, I just don't like the way it makes me feel. My head feels stuffy and it's just no fun. BUT....with all that said, it's totally worth it if it ends in a fun trip!

We got into San Diego around 4:00 PST. We made it to our hotel, which was just amazing! We stayed at Hotel Indigo in the Gaslamp Quarter. I would recommend this hotel over and over again. The staff was so nice and helpful, the rooms were big and clean, and it was a great location.



We headed out to explore the city after freshening up and getting settled. We were planning to head over to Little Italy, but we took a quick detour to a little shop near our hotel so I could get a pair of TOM's. I brought a lot of sandals/flip flops with me, and a pair of tennis shoes, but I upon realizing how cool it was, I knew I'd want something warmer for my feet while exploring the city, but a little more stylish than my tennis shoes. The TOM's ended up being a good choice.


We took the trolley (I think it was trolley) over to Little Italy. We explored this cute little area before heading to dinner. The street was packed with neat little restaurants and coffee and ice cream shops. I am glad we took the time to visit this area.



A wonderful twitter friend helped provide me with LOTS of advice for this trip. Meme is from San Diego and was able to give us lots of suggestions for restaurants! She suggested the restaurant Prep Kitchen for when we headed to La Jolla (that's to come!), but when i looked into it I noticed they didn't take reservations; however, they had a new restaurant in Little Italy that did take reservations! I am so glad she suggested it, because it was delicious! I loved the decor and atmosphere. Definitely a top recommendation from the trip!

I didn't take any pictures in here, other than this one of the the herbs they had growing in these mason jars by the door. I loved them!


Up next...the greatest brunch ever and a trip to the zoo!

8 comments:

  1. Yeah, your hotel seemed really nice! And nice view too.

    I love Little Italy. I'll need to try prep kitchen next time I am there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. San Diego is on our list of cities to visit. Looks like you had a great first day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. San Diego is such an awesome city!! Love the pics already, looks like such a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE the Gaslamp Quarter! What a fun, fun trip! I think I'm going to get some TOMs for my UK/Germany trip this summer, because I've heard they're SUPER for walking, they should at least be more comfortable than flip flops/sandals?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a fun trip. There is a Hotel Indigo where we live and it seems really nice too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Gas Lamp, and am so glad you guys had a great time. We've never spent any time in Little Italy, I'll have to add it to the list the next time we're there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. San Diego is where we honeymooned. I want to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like it was a great first day!!! I haven't been to San Diego!

    ReplyDelete