Tuesday, May 8, 2012

How I told my husband...

I found out I was pregnant the morning of Saturday, February 18. In the week leading up this, I thought that there might be a chance, but I had taken about 3 tests that week and all were negative. I had kind of given up on thinking that this would be "the" month. On the morning of the 18th, I went to an early cycling class at the Y. On the way home, I tried talking myself out of testing again. I kept telling myself it wasn't going to be positive, it would be a let down. But I still went against what I told myself, and I took a test anyway. 

After a few moments of just starring, I immediately started to see a faint line appearing. After about 5 minutes, it was a definite pink line. At this time, J was outside mowing the lawn. I thought about going outside to scream and yell and tell him, but I held it in. I had thought of a "fun" way to tell him a few days prior to this and I was determined to keep it in for a few hours!

That afternoon, he was laying in bed reading a book, so I went in the kitchen and got out a bottle of wine we had bought for dinner that night. I added a little something to the label....

Now before I tell this next part of the story, I should give you a bit of a back story. I am horrible at opening wine. It's always J's job because I always manage to screw it up (no pun intended). For Christmas, my sister gave us this electric wine opener. While we love it and any normal person could use it with no trouble, I still have trouble with it. I am just not meant to open wine bottles. A few nights before the positive test, I tried opening a bottle with the electric opener and it ended with J taking the opener apart because I had jammed the cork in it so that it wouldn't come out on its own. All this to say...I am bad at opening wine.

Back to my original story...when dinner time rolled around, I was sitting on the couch and I yelled at J to go get me a glass of wine. He gave me a hard time and told me to do it myself, so I reminded him of what had happened a few nights before and all the hassle and fun of unjamming our wine opener. That did the trick.

He walked in the kitchen, picked up the bottle, and immediately asked which of our friends had given us this bottle of wine as a joke. A few seconds after he asked that question he stopped and starred at me. I didn't have to say a word for him to know it wasn't a joke!



It was a  pretty happy night, to say the least! We celebrated (wine for him, none for me!), and we were kind of just in awe the whole night. What a crazy feeling! Even though this was something we wanted, it was hard to wrap our minds around the idea that we were having a baby!

I also went and grabbed all of the tests I had taken that day. After taking my cheap ones, I took a digital one. You can't really deny a positive test when it's this obvious!


28 comments:

  1. That is such a cute, fun way to tell him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been waiting for this one. such a great way to tell your husband you're pregnant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw! That is a unique way to tell! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect way to tell him! I actually like this better than some of the super elaborate ideas some people come up with!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SOOOOOO cute!!!! And just love :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm literally crying in my cubicle! That's SO sweet! I can't wait to meet Baby W!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this! Such an exciting moment for you guys- congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. adorable, I wish I had something cute like that,but sadly I do not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That was such a creative way to tell your husband you're pregnant! It's probably the best way I've heard yet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So cute, Rachel! I didn't do anything fun our first go round, but maybe I will for #2. I'm so happy for y'all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I didn't have the patience to wait!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awww! That's such a cute idea!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is so sweet! i'm always impressed by women who plan out creative ways to "tell" their husbands because i CANNOT keep a secret so my husband was right there with me when i tested!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute way to break the news!!! Love that it involved wine, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a cute idea - I bet he was very excited!

    ReplyDelete
  16. So cute & such a fun way to tell him!!! Love it! So surreal I bet, can't even imagine :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is one of the cutest breaking the news stories ever!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Darling darling darling way to share the news!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I really like this breaking the news story! VERY unique!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Such a cute way to surprise J! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Aw that's a cute idea. I don't know how I'll tell my husband when we're there. Hopefully I won't blurt it out at a terrible time! I have the worst timing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. SO cute! Congrats.

    As a side note, I too can mess up just about any wine opener on the market. Its a gift.

    --Renee

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is quite possibly the best "How I told him" story I've ever heard. I love how you incorporated wine into your surprise :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a cute and fun way to tell him!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Aw! That's cute how you told him!

    ReplyDelete