Thursday, July 26, 2012

4 Years

July 26, 2008


Today we are celebrating 4 years of marriage.

FOUR YEARS!

Last year on our third anniversary, I shared a bunch of pictures from our big day. 

This year, I think I just want to write about the place we're in now.
Because I know that next year on our anniversary, we will be in a totally different place.
Next year at this time, we'll have a nine month old. 

My husband is totally my partner in life. We are a team. 
Team Jachel is what we (and a few friends) have been known to call us.
And I love my "teammate" more than I can put into words. 
I won't get all mushy here, but my husband makes me happier than I ever thought was possible. 
He's my perfect match. That's all there is to it.
BUT...
I'd be lying if I said I wasn't just a little scared about what our 5th year of marriage is going to bring.

We are getting ready to bring a baby into this world, OUR baby, and that baby will be joining our little family. And that's terrifying! We are over the moon excited for this little girl to get here, but the unknowns that this baby girl will bring are pretty darn scary. When we stop and think about how much our lives are going to change over the next year, it's sort of a crazy feeling. We've become so good at being "us," J and Rachel, and I often wonder how we're going to adjust into this new role as parents. I know that we will be okay. But I know that there will be growing pains for all of us over the next 12 months. And it's all uncharted territory.

But you know what? I am positive that there's no one I would rather be doing this with. 
While we may not know what is in store for us, I do know that I'm doing it all with the greatest man I know. And he'll be there to be my better half when I need it the most, and hopefully I'll be able to do the same for him. I think this little lady is going to be just fine with us as her parents. Even if we have no idea what we're doing most the time.

And what's a blog post without some pictures? 
A little walk down year four of marriage...








So...4 years of marriage have brought us here.
 I can't wait for year number five!

14 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel! We went to JMU together and I recognized you right away as I stumbled upon your cute blog!! I'm happy to be a new follower :) Congratulations on your soon to be sweet little girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just LOVE this post & I love you guys! Happy Anniversary & cheers to many, many more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!!! Four years is great!! I had my first baby at 3 years, so I know what you mean about being nervous about how it will change your marriage. Aaaand it does! I know you weren't really asking for advice ;-) but I just wanted to share a few things that helped our marriage after babies (we're at 8.5 years now and #4 will be here any day!).

    1. Every mom has their own style, but for me, getting the baby on a predictable schedule was instrumental in giving us our evening time again. Sara was about 3-4 months old before I got her to that point, but it was worth it. Being able to count on her going to bed and us getting some time every night was big.

    2. A lot of the adjustment for me was in my head. I had to choose to prioritize my husband more, whereas before it was pretty natural. We had to get a lot more intentional about date nights (even if it was just popcorn/movie night at home) and spending time with each other in general.

    3. I don't know if you're going back to work or not, but if you're staying home, the advice I would offer is to keep up with stuff going on in the "real" world. It is really hard not to get sucked into baby-world, but that doesn't really give you and your husband much adult stuff to talk about. :-) My husband and I still share a lot of the same interests because I've cultivated them and not let myself drown in kidland.

    4. Find a mom support group!! Especially if you are going to be home. My husband is my very best friend, and he is so good to listen to all my stories and tedious details of my days at home, but by having girlfriends that GET IT, I can remove some of that burden from him. :-) A support system is so vital!

    Anyway, this became a short book, but I just wanted to encourage you that your marriage can still keep getting better and better if you're intentional about it! You guys are going to do great!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Anniversary!

    Landon came exactly 1 month before our 2nd anniversary and I will say that year of marriage was definitely the hardest. We had a newborn to take care of, we were sleep deprived, and I was a hormonal mess for a couple of months. We figured it out and we are stronger than ever now that we are parents. Having a baby definitely brought us closer together. It's still hard sometimes, but you do get the hang of it. You guys will be awesome and since you're already such a great team, that will translate into your parenting and you guys will adjust and do just fine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a sweet post! Happy Anniversary to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YAY! Congrats! Yes, this next year will be hard. I'm already expecting that as well. We celebrate 3-years in Feb

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary. Great pics!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Anniversary! There is no better feeling than knowing you've found your partner/teammate for life and it sounds like you guys are perfect for each other. Best wishes for many more happy years together :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Anniversary to Team Jachel! Year #5 will be your best yet! Having a baby together will make you fall even more in love with your husband. Trust me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy anniversary, love birds! :) I think J has changed so much. He's so grown up now! :) You two are going to be such wonderful parents and having such a great partnership to begin with is going to make the process even more enjoyable and will make the transition smooth. I'm so excited for y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Amaze!! The end!! No!, Just the beginning!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Anniversary Rachel, and I'm wishing you many more years of happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary! I'm thinking this will be your best year yet.

    ReplyDelete