Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Hydrangea Alphabet Wreath

I was inspired by Sherry from Young House Love to participate in the summer Pinterest Challenge!


I have about a million different ideas just sitting around on my Pinterest of things I'd like to try....cooking, crafting, home projects, school ideas....the list goes on and on! So when I saw that Sherry was hosting another Pinterest Challenge, I figured this would be a great time to stop just pinning and actually try something new.  

Our new home has been lacking in "front porch charm." I have yet to put any plants or pots out there and we haven't had a wreath on our door since moving in. This challenge was the perfect push I needed to add something to my front porch (sidenote: I  say front "porch" lightly...it's more of a small, covered landing area). So....after a quick trip to Hobby Lobby and about an hour of work, this is what now sits on our front door.


It adds a great, fresh pop of color, and it just makes the whole front porch look so friendly. 
I love the final product!

My inspiration came from this Etsy shop...here's the photo I started with, courtesy of a pin I saw on pinterest.

Source: etsy.com via Rachel on Pinterest


Here's the quick breakdown of what I did to make my wreath, and the cost of the supplies. 
It was really a simple project! 

Here's what I got for supplies:


Wooden stick wreath: $5.99 (ended up paying 3.59 after using 40% off coupon)
2 large, silk, purple hydrangeas: $3.49 each
7 small, silk, white hydrangeas: $1.49 each
Wooden W: $1.99
Acrylic Paint: $0.64
Foam Brush (pack of 3): $1.99
Glue Gun & Glue: Free, already had these

Grand Total: $25.62
Not bad! Especially considering the Etsy shop I found my inspiration on was charging $50.

So now onto the steps...I kept this really simple. Feel free to ask more questions in the comments!

1. Paint your letter. Pretty self explanatory.


2. Cut your flowers. I left about 2-3 inches of "stem" on each flower to tuck into the wreath.

3. Insert flowers into wreath. I just sort of pushed them, and they honestly held quite well on their own. But once I liked their arrangement, I still went ahead and added some hot glue to secure them in the wreath. (no picture of hot gluing...I was home alone while working on this project so I didn't have J around to help me take photos)


4. After I had added the flowers, I decided to cut off a few of the leaves that were on the silk stem and see what they would look like on the wreath. I actually really liked what they added to the wreath, so I went ahead and hot glued them down.


5. Hot glue your letter down. This was semi tricky, only because the wreath doesn't lay flat, so you have to hold the letter in place for a few minutes before the glue dries. Again, no pictures of this step!

And step #6, hang it on your door once it's all dry!


So there ya have it! A very easy project, and a nice way to spruce up your front door for spring or summer. This would also make a great housewarming gift for a friend!


16 comments:

  1. Cute wreath -- foam brushes are on sale for 7 cents this week :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cute! I have a wreath similar to this "pinned" on my pinterest board as well. Hopefully one day I'll get around to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I honestly like yours better than the one on Etsy! The leaves look nice, and the flowers covering less of the wreath give it good balance. I think I might spruce up our front door this weekend! "C" is for Craft ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely GORGEOUS! I want to make one now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So cute! Can't wait to see it in person tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I REALLY love this!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. SO, so cute! I love a project that is simple and has a fabulous result. Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this! You did a great job :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It turned out amazing!! What a good idea to actually USE some pinterest pins :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Look at you crafty mama!! It looks AWESOME!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your wreath! We should totally Pinterest craft together sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. This turned out lovely! Way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this. It looks so good! I think I'm going to make one for my mom for the "off" seasons when she doesn't have anything great for her door.

    ReplyDelete