Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Sympathy Pregnancy

Before I was pregnant, I had heard people say that their husband took on "sympathy pregnancy" symptoms. I even found a whole wikipedia article on it, they call it couvade syndrome. They phrase it as:


a condition in which a man experiences some of the same symptoms and behavior of an expectant mother. These most often include minor weight gain, altered hormone levels, morning nausea, and disturbed sleep patterns. In more extreme cases they can include labor painspostpartum depression, and nosebleeds.


Before I was a momma to be, this sounded just straight up ridiculous, but now that we have our own baby on the way, I find myself giving J a hard time about his own sympathy pregnancy each day. (sidenote: I don't really think my husband is suffering from a syndrome, it just gives me a good laugh)


Since he tore his ACL early on in my pregnancy, I have shared a great deal of my pregnancy with his injury. When we go to bed at night and wake up in the morning, we're both grunting as we roll over or try to get comfortable to fall asleep. My body is expanding and growing in weird ways, and his leg is locked at zero degrees all night, making it hard for him to find a comfortable position. Neither of us likes to bend over these days to fill the dogs' water bowl. We're both visiting the doctor more than we ever have in the past. And here's my favorite....the other night as I was getting ready for bed and rubbing Palmer's Cocoa Butter on my belly, this is what he says...


"Hey, that's the same stuff my PT told me to use on my knee to help the scar heal. Can I use it when you're done?" 


That's right, we're even sharing the cocoa butter to prevent stretch marks and scars.


He may not have couvade syndrome, but it certainly makes me laugh that we're "sharing" this pregnancy in ways I never expected!

5 comments:

  1. HAHA, I love it. At least you're not the only one dealing with the symptoms!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha that is funny! one of my friends at work swears she has sympathy pains from me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hilarious. I saw the same thing on the show, Pregnant in Heels, the other day and thought, "What a load of crap!" My hubby is having back issues and therefore sleep issues, so I find myself laughing at both of our discomforts as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Nick definitely experienced sympathy symptoms! And I swear that he had crazier cravings than I did.

    ReplyDelete