Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Vinegar Tricks from Pinterest

Lately I have found two wonderful uses for vinegar thanks to Pinterest. I think all Pinterest users can agree that some pins end up working out better than others. I've definitely had a few recipes or tried some cleaning things that were a total bust, but both of these were a total win!



Confession...We have smelly towels.

It's not because we're smelly people (I promise!), but for whatever reason all of our towels had developed this awful, sour, funky, mildewy smell. I have tried a variety of tricks to get rid of the smell, but I've had NO luck. I recently told J that I was ready to throw in the towel (pun totally intended) and buy us all new towels. The smell was gross and after a shower where you're smelling like a bed of roses, the last thing you want to do is wrap yourself in a stinky towel.

A day or two after I told J this, I saw a post on Pinterest describing this method to clean your towels. The author of the post swore it worked, and I figured I'd give it one last try. 

Basically, she said to do a hot wash with vinegar, followed by a hot wash with baking soda. 

And y'all.....it worked like a CHARM!
There is zero trace of that funky smell in our towels. They smell fresh and clean. No mildew smell and they don't smell like vinegar at all (I was slightly worried that they might).
I may have jumped up and down when I opened the dryer to discover that it worked.



As you may have noticed from my pregnancy updates, I'm pretty into fresh fruit this summer. 
I am buying berries at least once a week. And when my berries go bad after two or three days, this craving starts to get expensive. This Pinterest trick says to wash your berries with a water and vinegar mixture (instead of just water). The original post says that vinegar helps to kill mold spores in the berries allowing them to stay fresh longer. 

Like the towel trick, I was skeptical. I was especially worried about my fruit tasting like vinegar, but once again, the trick totally worked. My fruit still tastes great and it can easily go a week without going moldy.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

So those are my two tricks. And did I mention that I also love them because not only do they solve problems in our home, but they are a CHEAP fix. A big jug of white vinegar is like $1.50. Can't beat that.

Anyone try a vinegar trick (or anything from Pinterest for that matter!) that worked really well and I need to know about it?  I'd love to hear about it!

8 comments:

  1. I use vinegar + baking soda to de-clog my tub drain!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We get that calcification build-up on our kitchen sink nozzle. I remove it and soak it overnight in vinegar. Works like a charm. I also clean our floor with a water and vinegar mixture so my crawling baby doesn't get any of the chemicals from floor cleaners. I heard that if you use vinegar that has been soaking in citrus peels for a few weeks it makes the scent much more pleasing than straight vinegar. I started soaking some yesterday. We'll see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am also a fan of the towel defunking recipe! Our bathroom is fairly small with not a lot of ventilation, and due to evening workouts, we often shower twice a day. All of this, I think, leads to that "ew..." smell.

    I can't wait to try the trick with washing fruit - it's been on my to-try list.

    I clean our countertops with a vinegar/water mixture in a spray bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok so the towel thing-do you just pour the vinegar in with no soap? I guess I could look it up! And the fruit thing-how
    Much vinegar?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mix 1 part vinegar and 1 part Dawn dish soap. It makes an awesome shower and sink cleaner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO picky about smelly towels. If ours get stinky, I'll have to do this.

    We use vinegar and water for our hardwood floors too. Smells vinegar-y at first but goes away completely when it dries.

    I'm going to have to try the fruit trick ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I use 1 cup vinegar, a gallon of hot water, & a couple drops of olive oil to clean my hardwood floors...works perfectly & is safe for Elyse when she finally decides she wants to crawl!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a little late here.....but I found a vinegar trick on Pinterest lately, too! Our plain white dishes started to get a weird film on them and it wouldn't come off in the dishwasher. I soaked them in a sink full of warm water + a little white vinegar and some dish soap, and VOILA -- perfect again!

    ReplyDelete