Thursday, July 5, 2012

Visiting Disney in the Second Trimester

In the weeks leading up to my Disney trip, I got a lot of funny reactions when I told people I was going to visit Disney World in June at 22 weeks pregnant. 

Some people questioned why in the world I would agree to drive 8 hours to Orlando, and others were concerned about me walking around in the heat. I thought it might be helpful to post a little bit about what I learned on this trip in case anyone else finds themselves with Disney tickets in the hot summer months while pregnant.

First of all, I talked to my doctor before our trip and he said it was fine if I made the trip. My pregnancy has been very normal with no problems, so he didn't see a reason for me not to go. If he had said my body wasn't up for it, I would have stayed home.

As for the drive, it really wasn't bad. I wasn't in the driver's seat, and I got to sit back and relax the whole trip. My family made as many stops as I needed, and honestly, it was much better than flying. I've flown twice during this pregnancy (once at 9 weeks, and again at 16 weeks), and both times I ended up getting sick (stupid airplane germs) and found that flying was WAY more uncomfortable. 

Now....here are some of the things I learned about visiting Disney while pregnant in the summer...


1. If you go during a tropical storm, it will really help to keep the temperature down! I know you can't plan for this, but it was actually kind of helpful on out trip (while also being a pain)! Up until our last day, I didn't have to take too many big breaks during the day, because it was honestly never that hot. The storm kept things cloudy, meaning the sun was never beating down on us. While the rain was definitely a bummer, it made being out in the parks all day much easier.

2. If it is super hot when you're there, TAKE BREAKS! Our last day in Disney was HOT. The sun was out all day, and the park was packed. We arrived at The Magic Kingdom around 10AM, and I hung out in the park until about 2:30PM. At this point, my mom and I hopped on the monorail and visited some of the resorts that are on the monorail loop. We did some shopping there, had a few snacks, and just enjoyed their lobbies.  They were uncrowded, cool, and still very "Disney!" The Grand Floridian had a man playing a grand piano, followed by a band, so sitting around in their was a nice treat. We stayed on the Disney resort at a hotel in Downtown Disney, but taking the bus to and from the park to the hotel was a LONG process (about 45 minutes to 1 hour each way). If you don't stay at one of the "nicer" places, just go visit for a few hours. It's a great way to get out of the hottest part of the day.

3. WATER! I drank tons of water while here. Disney let's you bring in your own water bottles, so each day I filled my camelback water bottle before leaving the park, and would fill it up through out the day at water fountains or food courts. Don't pay an arm and a leg for bottles of water in the park. You can easily stay hydrated for free. Same goes for snacks! They let you bring in your own food, so if you want to bring almonds or a granola bar, do it! No reason to pay for it in the park.

4. Take advantage of the shows and cool spots in the park! Since I couldn't enjoy a lot of the big rides and attractions in Disney, my mom and I saw a lot of shows. My brother and dad would go do the big stuff while we went and found a place to sit. There are plenty of these types of activities in each park. My favorite was the Nemo Musical at Animal Kingdom. I really enjoyed this show! I also found that Disney does a good job keeping most their lines out of the sun. On our last day when it was super hot, we did Dumbo, Haunted Mansion, and Peter Pan and all three had covered lines or the lines went indoors in the AC. This made waiting for a ride not so bad. (sidenote: my brother sort of loved that I couldn't do the big rides, because that meant he could get a fastpass for those rides with my ticket which allowed him to ride it back to back...lucky kid).

5. Find some comfortable shoes. This might seem like a given, but I was shocked by some of the shoe choices I saw people make in Disney. And yes, some of those people were pregnant! Pregnant and in platforms at Disney? WHY?! I wore this comfy pair that I bought for Europe two summers ago, and they were great for this trip. 


They may not have been the most stylish shoe in the park, but who cares! They were comfortable and provided great support. I thought about wearing my Reef flip flops, but they have hardly any traction on the bottom. With all the rain we had, I didn't want to find myself slipping and falling. My Tevas were the right choice (here is a similar pair).

6. Make sure the people who are with you understand that you WILL need breaks during the day. My family was wonderful and didn't push me to walk or do too much. They knew I didn't want to get to a point where I had gone too far, so they were understanding every time I asked to stop to rest or to use the restroom. I think this would have been a lot harder if we had brought small children on this trip. Luckily, everyone was okay with stopping every hour or so on this trip.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

So there ya have it! When my family first asked me about going to Disney with them this summer, I was not pregnant, so of course it sounded like a great idea! When I found out I was pregnant, I was a little concerned, but honestly, it was a very doable trip. Would I have done it in the third trimester? Probably not. But I think that is up to each woman. Hope this helps someone out there who might be in this situation. I googled "pregnant and Disney" before our trip but came up with very little, so maybe this will help someone else!

4 comments:

  1. Great tips, and a lot of them are true even if you're not pregnant! We took a break from the parks on our Honeymoon, and went to the Grand Floridian for their Afternoon Tea - it was awesome! I also recommend using some of the shows as a nap break. We were so exhausted on our trip, and the Nemo Show and Presidents of the USA show at Magic Kingdom were GREAT for taking naps. Air conditioned, and you sit still for a long time - perfect for naps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In Feb. of 2011, my husband and I decided to take my nephew to Disney for his 6th birthday present during the upcoming summer. We told him about it, and he was so excited. In March, I found out I was pregnant. My doctor told me it would be fine to go, just to remember it would be hot and to take it easy. We planned our trip for June (his birthday is in July), so I was 17-18 weeks along. I rode the rides that I could, and sat while my husband and nephew rode the ones I couldn't. People watching is quite entertaining. I spent a lot of time waiting in line for character autographs, while the two of them rode rides. Then, they would jump in line with me when I got close to the front for his picture and autograph. I only had one day (at Animal Kingdom), where I became super hot. I was able to find a table in the shade to rest. It all worked out, and my nephew had a blast. Now, I have an almost 8 month old. I am looking forward to taking him to Disney for his 5th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, we went during our first pregnancy and it took a lot of planning to find a nice balance between having a great time and not over doing the trip. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like with another little one there as well.

      Delete
    2. Wow, we went during our first pregnancy and it took a lot of planning to find a nice balance between having a great time and not over doing the trip. I couldn't imagine what it would have been like with another little one there as well.

      Delete