Friday, August 10, 2012

A Week at the Lake

Last week we enjoyed a glorious five days on Lake Champlain in upstate New York in the little town of Westport. J's family has a home there on a piece of property that goes waaaaaaay back in his family, and it's really one of the most beautiful places on earth. It's just so peaceful and serene, and I won't lie, a break from the South's humidity was quite nice. It was a long drive from Charlotte to upstate NY (about 17 hours total), and doing that while pregnant made it even more interesting, but I'm so glad we got to enjoy one more vacation before our baby girl gets here.



I'm pretty sure there is no better place to sit for hours and read than on the rocks by the lake. 

One thing we have to do while visiting Westport is visit the marina, mainly because they have these mozzarella sticks they serve with a raspberry sauce. I love 'em!




Midweek we took the ferry across the lake to Vermont and visited the charming town of Burlington. Burlington is neat little city with a lot of personality.



We found a sandwich shop to visit for lunch, thanks to Yelp, and it lived up the reviews. Yelp said the ambience of this place was "hipster" and I'd have to agree. Excellent food, very unique decor and atmosphere. Very fitting for Burlington!



Here we are on Church Street where we did a little walking, browsing, and shopping...



Before heading back across the lake, we stopped by the Magic Hat brewery. J tasted a few beers, and the bar tender was kind enough to let me sample their "Seasonal H20 Ale." Lucky me. Also, this was my third brewery tour while pregnant. Wife of the year, right here.



Before heading back on the ferry, we could see a nasty storm coming. 


Our vacation, as always went by too fast. 
Five full days were wonderful, but I would have loved another week to just sit back and relax there. At least we're heading back to the mountains of Virginia this weekend with some friends. That will help us stretch out our summer laziness and work on our tans (and by tans I mean burns) for a little while longer!

In the meantime, we'll be enjoying our memories of this year's lake trip and keep talking about all the things were excited to show our baby up there next summer!


10 comments:

  1. SO SO beautiful and charming!!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. Looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I love lake trips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magic Hat #9 is one of our favorites! You totally win wife of the year for going to 3 breweries this year when you can't drink!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look SO beautiful with that bump... that vacation looks HEAVENLY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I could so use a nice lake trip right now. Looks so relaxing!

    you look great lady!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks amazing! Those cheesesticks with raspberry sauce sound delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like a great time! Are you going back to teaching?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how fun! That deli looks too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a client in Burlington (actually a funny story for you - I'll have to email ya) and I love that charming town. Kate from Every Mile A Memory told me that I *must* eat at Four Corners of the Earth, so I went there this past winter! Really cool place, right?!

    ReplyDelete