Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"Are you going back?"

One of the questions I have been asked the most since announcing I was pregnant, is about my future as a teacher. Everyone seems to want to know if I'm going back to school.

Seeing as students started back to school yesterday in Charlotte, and I've yet to mention school or my classroom, you can probably figure out that....

I am not going back to school this year.

And you know what? I have no idea when I will go back. So many people ask if I want to go back next fall (2013), and honestly, no, I don't! I've always wanted to be able to stay home with my babies, and luckily, my husband and I have worked hard to make that possible over the first four years of our marriage. I realize that this is not an option that every family has, so I do feel quite blessed that I have the option to stay home with our baby girl (and any future kids we have).

Will I miss teaching? Yes!! There are definitely parts I will miss! I will miss the kids, especially those moments when you see light bulbs go off. But I hope to tutor some over the next few years, so hopefully I'll still get some of those moments. I will miss the people I work with. I will miss the fun of setting up a classroom. I will miss the feeling of when you work hard to plan a lesson and it goes off flawlessly. However, I will not miss the stress that comes with state and district testing. I won't miss hours of grading and planning outside of school. I won't miss the emails from parents treating me like I am not a human being. I've blogged for 4+ years now, and there's so much about my job I haven't shared on my blog. I have had SO many very excellent interactions with parents and families, but I have also had some VERY low lows. And I will not for a second miss the way that some parents have treated me over the years. And the thought of dealing with those sort of stress factors PLUS my own baby at home, it's just not worth it to me.

A lot of people have made comments to me about staying home; they assume it's because I don't make a lot of money and most of my paycheck will go to childcare. While that is true (I make next to nothing, even with my master's degree), it's not the reason I'm staying home. I'm staying home because I want to be with my baby during the day, and I'm lucky enough to have that as an option. We will be making sacrifices to make this possible, but to me, it's so worth it. And teaching will always be there if I want to go back in the future.

25 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more with everything you said!!! People always ask me the same thing too, and I'm not going back either for the same reasons. People assume it's because I don't make any money and it wouldn't be worth it for me to work, but even if I made millions I would want to be home with my babies!So glad you get to stay home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy for you R! So glad you get to be home with your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so happy for you...from one mom and teacher to another! Stay home....I never got to, and wish that I had. And ditto to what you said about the stresses on teachers these days. For those of us that have been in it for a while....times sure have changed :( So happy for you .Hooray!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're so right about making sacrifices to be able to do what you want. I think that's so awesome. You & J have had a plan from the beginning & it's so great you can make that plan come to reality!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is exciting news, friend! I am so happy for you! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I planned a similar post for today! Of course, mine is opposite.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so so happy for you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going on year 2 of not teaching, and while there are some things I do miss (setting up a classroom, seeing my friends/co-workers) I don't really miss teaching anymore. It's nice not to have to make lesson plans, deal with bratty kids (I had middle school), etc. I LOVE staying home with my son and I feel so lucky that I can because it's something I've always wanted to do.

    I worked in a private school, so I also made next to nothing. My husband and I always wanted to me stay home, but the fact that most of my income would have gone to childcare definitely helped make that decision easier and we know it's what's right for our family.

    Once your little girl is here, you're going to be so happy you're able to stay home. I can't imagine leaving my son to go to work now, the thought makes me sad :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this is great and I'm glad you shared with us. My husband and I want to have kids soon but I'm also just starting my teaching career. (I've been wrestling with starting my first year of teaching AND getting pregnant, and asking myself "is that too much at one time?")
    It's difficult for us to look into the future at this point. It's nice for me to be able to read about decisions other teachers/moms have made.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you have the right to do whatever you think is right for you and your family from the very beginning. So I am happy for you that you're doing just that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited for you! I can't imagine how hard it would be to go back to work once your sweet girl is finally here. I know that I hope to be able to do exactly what you're doing when our time comes. Although you might miss some things with teaching, you won't ever regret the time you're going to have at home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I haven't gone back to my job as an RN since having my daughter which was about 4 years ago, and now with my little baby boy at home it has really been a blessing I will always cherish. I too have missed some of the independence and interaction working out of the home brings, but this time is irreplaceable with them and if you can financially swing it and want to be home, go for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. How exciting! I have decided to stay home from teaching this year too (hopefully until my kids are in school)! I went back to work for 3 years after my son was born and it was so hard! After my daughter was born in Feb., I decided it was time! Teachers went back to school here yesterday. I was sad to not be seeing all my friends I have made over the past 7 years, but I am not going to miss the stress at all. Good luck to you with all the changes a baby brings. Enjoy every second of it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You already know I'm thrilled for you! You're going to love this next part of your life. Plus, you're right, it's not worth all the extra stress. Good for y'all for being smart enough to plan for all of this :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. That is exactly how I feel. I really hope than when we have kids that I can stay home while they are little. Enjoy your baby and your time with her.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, yes and yes! I am going through the exact same thing. I initially said I'd take 1 year off, but that has come and gone and I have no intention of going back until my youngest child (only 1 so far!) reaches Kindergarten. I miss teaching all the time, but it will always be there. My baby will only be little once. Our days are so busy, I don't know how I ever had time for work. ;) I certainly admire parents who are also teachers that work. I just can't imagine. I feel blessed beyond belief to be able to stay home and call myself a SAHM.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is wonderful news!! And, I agree with everything about staying home and teaching- our babies will only be young once and teaching will always be there!!! I have missed teaching but I know I will never regret being home with Kal. I sub from time to time to give me that fix and that works so well!
    So happy you can enjoy this time, I know you will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Excited for you! I closed my business (health coaching) after I had Hailey and got a lot of questions about it, but I'm SO happy to be at home with her now. I feel fortunate it worked out for me to get to stay home.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love this post. I'm so happy for you and I know that any sacrifices made will be more than worth having this time with your sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for sharing! I'm a teacher, too, and we'll probably start trying to have our first baby in 1-2 years and I have no idea what I'll do - work or stay home?! Luckily I have some time to figure it out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm the same way - when it comes time for us to have a little one I want to be able to stay home with it. We're planning on working really hard the next few years to make that happen.

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are very blessed to be able to have that as an option. If I had the option, I would be staying home as well! :) Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah! Stay home, enjoy your little one!
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  24. So excited for you! I completely understand the stress that goes with teaching. I don't blame you one bit for wanting to focus on your family right now...I made the same decision earlier this year! :) Enjoy every second of it- you just started the best job in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think that's GREAT that you'll be able to stay home and be with your baby!

    ReplyDelete