Thursday, September 6, 2012

The great dinner party failure

A few weeks ago at my baby shower, some of the friends that I lived with in college brought up the time I threw a "dinner party" at our house. It gave us all a good laugh and I thought it might be worth blogging about. This is also to show you all that I haven't always been a kitchen pro (not that I really am now!). 

Most of our meals in college consisted of pasta with sauce from a jar, or hot dogs cooked in a skillet, or chips and a sandwich. We weren't very fancy. If I baked chicken, that was a fancy meal.

After watching Rachael Ray make a delicious meal on her show one afternoon, I got it in my head that I needed to make that same exact meal and I'd throw a little dinner party. It would be so fun. 

The meal was sausage patty melts and tomato soup (amazingly enough, I was able to find a link to the recipe thanks to google, 8 years later).  So I went to the local Food Lion, bought all my supplies, and came home to cook. And somewhere in there I "im'd" some friends and roommates and told them to be in my kitchen by 7 for my dinner party.

So I got to cooking...


The sausage patties cooking away...


Just stirring the soup....making a very "I'm such a chef" smug face


And then we all sat down to eat. And everyone was smiling and happy. Apparently I even gave everyone a straw for their drink (odd observation). How cute were we? Also, another funny observation...we clearly were refusing to turn on our gas heat at this time based on the scarves and jackets everyone was wearing at the table. Oh college. 


And then we bit into our patty melts, and the insides were totally raw. And pink and cold. And y'all. ...it was so sad. My visions of a fun little homemade meal were crushed. I would no longer be the next Rachael Ray. I do believe that the tomato soup ended up being okay, but it's hard to remember with how bad the patty melts were. 

I think we ended up microwaving them to cook the meat, and well...it just wasn't as good. But I tried! And it's funny that eight years later, we all remember this funny event and my friends are concerned about me undercooking Baby W's food. Hopefully I've learned at least a thing or two about cooking since then!

6 comments:

  1. Undercooked sausage aside, this dinner party is still one of my most favorite college memories. We should total re-create this dinner party one day. Also, you failed to mention the tomato soup was from scratch and it was delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you shared this memory! I did the same thing in college for my roommates. I got the crazy idea to make Rachel Ray's calzones and it was a disaster to say the least but we all still laugh about it. Isn't it amazing how far we have come in the kitchen over the years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hilarious! I love that you have the pictures too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I second LES's comment...the tomato soup was awesome and I'm not even a tomato fan! Love the comment about the heat--my husband makes sure I am warm after hearing about my college living situations :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this story. Can I share it on Reluctant Entertainer's FB page? You guys are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! Isn't it funny how far we come over the years with cooking.

    ReplyDelete