Saturday, November 24, 2012

First Thanksgiving

We had a great first Thanksgiving with Maggie! 


 It was fun celebrating our first big holiday with her. It was also fun getting to host for the first time!


I am not one to go all out on holiday decor or tablescapes, so you won't see any fancy place settings or centerpieces, but I won't lie...my menu was pretty fantastic. I think J and I did a great job for our first Thanksgiving. We kept it relatively simple since we only had four of us at the table, but it was a lot of fun picking out recipes to serve. I think I enjoy this sort of thing more than most!



Menu:
Turkey Breast (in a crock pot!)
My mom's recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole (recipe below)
Sister Schubert Rolls
Pumpkin Pie and Carrot Cake by my MIL

 There was also a little of this...only my favorite pumpkin ale!


Some football watching after the meal...


And then me and my little sleepy head. 
All that turkey, parade watching, and family time wore her out!





Sweet Potato Casserole:
3 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (canned is fine)
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup evaporated milk
2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch of salt
1/3 cup butter
TOPPING:
1/3 cup flour
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup flaked coconut (OPTIONAL)
1 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup butter, melted

Combine all above ingredients until smooth. Pour into 2 qt. casserole dish. Mix all topping ingredients and spread over sweet potato mixture. Bake at 350°F. for 35 to 40 minutes. Note: This can easily be made ahead of time! Just prep the casserole and put in fridge, then put together the topping and add before baking.


10 comments:

  1. We live in the Southern Tier! Pumking is the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delish!! So fun! Maggie's first holiday!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That menu sounds delicious! It looks like you did a great job!

    I love that both you and Maggie were wearing plaid. So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything looks delish, especially the green bean bundles! Glad everything turned out so well. I'm also impressed with the turkey in the crockpot. Totally up my ally!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was fun to see Maggie on Skype for a couple minutes! Adara really wanted to be friends :). Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cute little dress she has!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just loved this!! SO fun your Thanksgiving as a family of 3!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so cute! I can't believe y'all hosted! Everything looked great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks like it was a great first Thanksgiving all together!

    ReplyDelete