Wednesday, November 14, 2012

M's Birth Story: Part 2

This is a continuation from yesterday's post!

Somewhere around 5pm, my doctor came in to check on me, and he immediately said I wasn't going to push this baby out without any help. My pubic bone wasn't wide enough for her to fit through. It had nothing to do with the fact that I was induced, my bone structure just wasn't accommodating to pushing her out. I had two choices. I could try pushing with help of a vacuum or we could go straight to the OR for a c-section. He said he didn't feel completely confident that the vacuum would work, but it might have a chance. I told him I wanted to try the vacuum before resorting to surgery. Since I had pushed for so long, I wasn't ready to give up yet. Also, I wanted to avoid surgery, if possible. 

So....we tried the vacuum. I pushed through two contractions while he used the vacuum, feeling a lot of pain, but my baby wasn't budging. After the second try I think I remember my doctor saying to a nurse to get my OR booked. I think I sort of felt a sense of relief here because it had been about 2.5 hours of pushing and not only was I exhausted, but I was in some serious pain. My epidural just wasn't cutting it.  (One thing I should note is that M's heart rate never dropped through out this whole process; she was doing great! We were never concerned about her and her health. Because of this, I would say that our situation was never considered an emergency.)

Things started to get a little rough at this point for me. They had to make sure there was an available OR and that there was an anesthesiologist who could be there. From the time my doctor said let's do the CS to the time we got into the OR, it was probably twenty minutes. And in that twenty minutes I probably had ten contractions and I felt each one. Longest twenty minutes of my life. I was trying so hard to breathe and just get through it, but the tears started flowing at this point. I was just ready to meet my baby and be done. 

They eventually wheeled me into the OR by myself (J couldn't come in until it was time to start the procedure), where I was a mess, but I was greeted by the nicest staff in here. The anesthesiologist nurse immediately calmed me down. She gave me some oxygen, put her hands on my head, and in about 5 minutes, they had more drugs in me and I was feeling completely numb from my chest down. From this point on, everything was fine, but for that hour where my drugs just weren't working, I was miserable. 

Once my drugs were working here, things were great! They got me ready for surgery, brought my sweet husband in (it was so good to see his face again), and before I knew it, it was go time! When my doctor began the procedure, I did feel stinging, so I immediately spoke up. They stopped the procedure and we waited a few minutes. Once they started again, I felt no pain. I guess my drugs hadn't fully kicked in yet? Who knows. From here I felt a lot of strong pushes and tugs (which is a crazy feeling, by the way!). My doctor talked us through every step, and before we knew it, at 6:33 PM he said, "Here comes your baby..." and I heard her sweet cry. Greatest moment ever.

Within seconds I saw her being lifted above the sheet, and taken to get cleaned up. A group of nurses were talking to me from her bassinet telling me she looked perfect, and all my fears and pain and worries from the day disappeared. My baby girl was here! J left my side after I told him to go look at her. I remember asking if she had hair, how much did she weigh....I was itching to get my hands on her, but knew I had to get put back together first.

Once they were all done cleaning her up and doing all of her tests, the nurses brought her to me so I could just stare at her sweet face and give her kisses. They then handed her to J, and we both just sat there in silence looking at this beautiful baby girl. She was ours!


I got "put back together"(which, BTW...my husband got a nice little show of my reproductive organs at this time....he and the doctor were chatting it up as the doctor showed him my uterus and other internal organs. WEIRD), and eventually J and the baby left to go to recovery. They moved me from the table to a bed, and I was wheeled to recovery where we spent the next 3 hours just falling in love with our sweet girl. We couldn't leave the recovery room until I could lift my leg and I wasn't nauseous. This part of the evening was killing me because our phones were dying, we didn't have outlets to charge them in, and all I wanted to do was text and email everyone we know and share pictures of our baby! Also, the recovery room was a million degrees to this hormonal mom who was draped in blankets, so I was anxious to get out and into our own room.




Finally around 9:30, I was good to go and they wheeled us down the hall, and we were taken to our own room where our moms finally got to come in and meet M. They were itching to meet this little lady who had been born three hours prior! Another neat memory, the hospital plays a lullaby a baby is born, but we learned that the dad is the one who gets to play the lullaby. It was at 9:30 when we were walking to our room that they let J turn a key that played the lullaby. I was holding M and just beaming as they played it!


My birth story definitely took an unexpected turn with the c-section. My doctor and I did not anticipate her birth being a c-section, but again, you can't plan the details of your baby's birth! I didn't go into her birthday with expectations, so I wasn't "let down" or upset that we had to have c-section to get her here safely. The only hope I had for my baby's birth was for it to end with a healthy mom and baby, and we got both of those. Would I have preferred to deliver vaginally? Maybe; it would have been nice to avoid the surgery and all the restraints that come along with it post delivery. But the c-section wasn't that bad, and my recovery has been going really well with the help of J and my mom. The first few days after the birth were really tough because not only did I have a giant incision in my abdomen, but I also was dealing with swelling and other problems associated with a vaginal birth since I had pushed for almost two and half hours. This was less than ideal, but again....my baby girl was here and healthy. I would do it all over again for her.

Because really....isn't she perfect?




20 comments:

  1. So was your beautiful Maggie born on her due date? I have a Maggie at home who was also born on her due date - there's something special about those sweet (and punctual) Margarets! She is beautiful, congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh sweet girl - you had a time. You were right - our stories our similar - I had the hour where the medicine didn't work too and it STINKS. A c-section isn't the most fun thing in the world, but if that's how you have to get your baby here, it's the best thing! And yes, she is perfect. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I should not have read this at work. I am crying in my cubicle. I bet J was so scared to not be by your side & vice versa. I'm so glad she's here & that everyone is okay. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. what a beautiful story! You have no idea how similar our stories are! Things were definitely a little crazy for us as Elyse's heartbeat was fluctuating drastically...but they got her out quickly! And seriously...is that tugging & pulling when they're taking the baby out not the weirdest feeling ever?!? I can't even try to explain it to someone unless they've been through it!

    Congrats girl, M is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! I was almost the same but we were able to get my little one out with the vacuum. Our hospital plays a lullaby when a baby is born too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad recovery is going well. It makes me sad when I read about mamas who had bad experiences, because I really quite enjoyed mine. I mean...as much as you can enjoy a major surgery. ;)

    Jarrod had zero interest in seeing my insides. LOL! He stayed with me the entire time until Ethan was out, then, he disappeared to bring him over to me.

    So happy for you...she's beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awwww so happy for yall! I got teary eyed reading this. She is precious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is beautiful!! Loved reading her birth story!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I started hurting for you when you described the time you weren't pushing but just had to wait to go to the ER. That must have been awful!! But you're, right, in the end you got one beautiful baby girl! Totally worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations! So glad your little girl is here, safe and sound. My little guy came on his due date (11-11-11) via a vaginal delivery that involved forceps (which didn't work) and finally a vacuum. The whole process was scary but there is so much relief to have your little one with you, no matter what the circumstances are!

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's so beautiful! I'm sorry you wound up with a c-section, but like you said, the important thing is that you and M are healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. So exciting! Except for the drugs not working. YIKES!
    I don't have expectations either so we shall see!

    ReplyDelete
  14. And, as for Brad wanting to see my insides. UMM...no! he's freaked out about seeing the baby born. The man can't clean a fish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Stinks you had to pretty much do both types of deliveries, but like you said you got a perfect girl in the end! Congrats to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  16. She is absolutely perfect -- so glad she arrived safely, even though the process was a long road!

    Evan had to pass my insides as he went to see L, and he literally held two hands up as a shield - I wanted a photo of my infamous placenta but he couldn't even glance that direction! Weenie.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I feel labor and delivery is just so unpredictable! Good for you in going with the flow and hanging in there through it all. She's beautiful, congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOVED reading your birth story!!! She's a doll!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Yaaay!!!! PERFECT!!! Sweet sweet girl!! Can't wait to meet her!

    ReplyDelete