Is there anyone who doesn't like a Christmas ornament and the story it tells? I doubt it!
I know that many prefer trees that match and are coordinated with beautiful mesh and ribbon, but I have always loved a tree that is full of memories and stories. Maybe one day we'll have multiple trees and I can have a "pretty" tree, but there's nothing better than a tree that makes you reminisce through the years.
Here are just a few of my favorite ornaments on our tree this year...
1. This ornament came from my friend Whitney's ornament exchange in Virginia Beach a few years ago. She's from South Carolina and I can't look at this ornament without hearing "Merry Christmas Y'all!" in her southern twang! (Miss you Whitney!)
2. I have no idea the story behind this homemade angel ornament, but it's always been one I loved. When my mom let me pick out some ornaments from our family tree a few years ago to take and put on our tree, I took this one. As a little girl I was convinced that she was made of crystals....
3. The cabbage patch doll is probably my favorite ornament on the tree! Most children grow up with a blankey or a stuffed animal they sleep with...I had Lori, my cabbage patch doll. I snuggled every night with a doll who had a HARD plastic head. And this is my Lori ornament! I no longer sleep with her, but she still hangs on our tree each year!
All of these ornaments came from my Nana. Each year for Christmas she has gotten me an ornament and puts the year on it. And most years the ornament was related to some sort of life event from that year. I love looking back on these because they definitely do a good job reminding me what I was into at the time!
4. This school desk ornament is from 1989; the year I started kindergarten.
5. My JMU snowman! She gave him when I graduated in 2006.
6. The ballerina is from one of the two years I did ballet, 1990. Clearly, ballet wasn't my thing!
7. After my cabbage patch doll ornament, this is probably my next favorite...my Layla ornament! I received this one in 2007, Layla's first Christmas!
8. In the last couple of years, I've started to enjoy buying ornaments as a souvenir on trips. The Santa hat with Mickey ears came from my Disney trip this summer. I dated it on the bottom because I'm sure it won't be my last trip to Disney!
9. J and I picked this one up at the San Diego Zoo this past April. This was our souvenir from the trip.
10. Our newest ornament! My mom sent me a birthday package last week and this cute ornament was in there. I love it!
11. This is another one from my Nana, but it was for J and me; our "First Christmas" ornament from 2008!
So what kind of tree do you have?
Is yours a hodgepodge of ornaments and colored lights like mine?
Or do you need it all to match?
What ornaments are special to you?