Thursday, December 6, 2012

Favorite Ornaments

Is there anyone who doesn't like a Christmas ornament and the story it tells? I doubt it!

I know that many prefer trees that match and are coordinated with beautiful mesh and ribbon, but I have always loved a tree that is full of memories and stories. Maybe one day we'll have multiple trees and I can have a "pretty" tree, but there's nothing better than a tree that makes you reminisce through the years.



Here are just a few of my favorite ornaments on our tree this year...

1. This ornament came from my friend Whitney's ornament exchange in Virginia Beach a few years ago. She's from South Carolina and I can't look at this ornament without hearing "Merry Christmas Y'all!" in her southern twang! (Miss you Whitney!)

2. I have no idea the story behind this homemade angel ornament, but it's always been one I loved. When my mom let me pick out some ornaments from our family tree a few years ago to take and put on our tree, I took this one. As a little girl I was convinced that she was made of crystals....

3. The cabbage patch doll is probably my favorite ornament on the tree! Most children grow up with a blankey or a stuffed animal they sleep with...I had Lori, my cabbage patch doll. I snuggled every night with a doll who had a HARD plastic head. And this is my Lori ornament! I no longer sleep with her, but she still hangs on our tree each year!


All of these ornaments came from my Nana. Each year for Christmas she has gotten me an ornament and puts the year on it. And most years the ornament was related to some sort of life event from that year. I love looking back on these because they definitely do a good job reminding me what I was into at the time!

4. This school desk ornament is from 1989; the year I started kindergarten.

5. My JMU snowman! She gave him when I graduated in 2006.

6. The ballerina is from one of the two years I did ballet, 1990. Clearly, ballet wasn't my thing!

7. After my cabbage patch doll ornament, this is probably my next favorite...my Layla ornament! I received this one in 2007, Layla's first Christmas!


8. In the last couple of years, I've started to enjoy buying ornaments as a souvenir on trips. The Santa hat with Mickey ears came from my Disney trip this summer. I dated it on the bottom because I'm sure it won't be my last trip to Disney!

9. J and I picked this one up at the San Diego Zoo this past April. This was our souvenir from the trip.

10. Our newest ornament! My mom sent me a birthday package last week and this cute ornament was in there. I love it!

11. This is another one from my Nana, but it was for J and me; our "First Christmas" ornament from 2008!


So what kind of tree do you have? 
Is yours a hodgepodge of ornaments and colored lights like mine? 
Or do you need it all to match? 
What ornaments are special to you?

20 comments:

  1. I just love this Rachel. Love the sentimental value each ornament held for you and the memories behind them!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I love that your cabbage patch doll ornament is named Lori! Such a cool name and great spelling choice! Jesse and I collect ornaments from everywhere we travel too and my MOH threw an ornament party for our engagement party... so many cool ornaments make an awesome tree. It's so fun to decorate the tree and have all the great memories coming back to you.... definitely in favor of a tree with lots of character rather than precisely coordinated. :) Congrats on Maggie, by the way... she's a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love this post! the only theme we have for our tree is memories...every ornament we have is either one we found and loved, one from travel, or one representing a particular stage in life! I love unwrapping each ornament every year & reminiscing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a "pretty" tree and I love it! When we moved from our tiny apartment into a house that could actually fit a normal sized tree, all I wanted was a fun, over-the-top coordinated tree. I still think it's super cute, but now that I have little Mr Isaac, I want to get another tree for our family memory/sentimental ornaments. Growing up, my mom would get my sister and me our own special ornaments each year (I would always get teddy bears) and I'd like to start this same tradition with him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have a pretty tree but I plan to have a kiddie/traditional tree now that we're having a child. Two trees. That's what I grew up with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am all about the hodge-podge tree! I get excited every year remembering all the ornaments I had forgotten about over the year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your tree! Adorable! I've got a red and gold tree this year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just love this post. You have inspired me to do a similar post!When I first got married, I started a snowman themed tree. A few years later I started a fancy colorful tree. Then after my son was born I missed the traditional family tree so I got rid of the snowman theme and went back to my roots! I still have my fancy tree too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even with all the random ornaments your tree looks beautiful! I definitely prefer the crazy hodgepodge trees too. Pretty trees look great but there's something special about a tree that holds so many beautiful memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a "hodge-podge" tree... that is pretty darn pretty, too! I love putting on the special, favorite ornaments and reminiscing! I was also given a Christmas shower when engaged and got a lot of meaningful ornaments, and buy them as souvenirs on trips. And the random ones I find at Christmas time! Someday I would love to have space for a "theme tree" but I could never not have my "random assortment of ornaments" tree!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you, I love a tree with a hodgepodge of ornaments and memories! It's so fun to unwrap the ornaments each year.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a great post idea, I may do this too! Our tree is loaded with a little of everything. No matching here. We like to collect ornaments from each of our vacation destinations too. It's fun to look every year and remember the great times :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My family and I do special ornaments as well. We get one on vacations and to commemorate special events. I wouldn't have a tree any other way!

    Lindsay
    My Life as a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a proud owner of a hodge podge tree! I love all of our ornaments and I get a little kick out of unwrapping each one -- I have just one set of duplicates, and other than that, each ornament is unique. Hugs from a fellow Cabbage Patch mama (Jennifer was mine)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have a sentimental tree {that has lots of red and lime green ornaments, and deco mesh- guilty}! My family let my siblings and I pick out an ornament every year and my fiance did the same thing growing up. Now we buy an ornament together every year- from a trip we took, or something sentimental from that year {this year it's an engagement ornament!}

    ReplyDelete
  16. Craig and I get an ornament from every place we visit. We also get ornaments from Biltmore every year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am with you! A bit of everything and lots of fun colors, memories and stories to go along with it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am the exact same way! I love gorgeous matchy matchy trees but I can never give up my tree full of memories! I love your cabbage patch ornament. Most of our special ornaments come from our travels too, they are the perfect souvenir!

    ReplyDelete
  19. we have a sentimental tree too and i love it :) nothing like the memories it brings out each year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. We have our sentimental tree with all the ornaments from my childhood and then I have my candy theme tree.

    ReplyDelete