I made this soup a year ago, and added it back into our menu rotation this week. I was going to share it on Menu Monday, but saw that Kelly was doing a soup link up on her blog and thought I'd share today! It's such a yummy soup for a cold day. The weather has been quite gross here this past week, so it made a wonderful dinner (and leftovers) in our home!
- 2 bacon slices, chopped
- 3 italian chicken sausages, removed from casings
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 32 oz can of diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups fat-free, lower-sodium chicken broth
- 2/3 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
1. Cook bacon in a large saucepan over medium heat 7 minutes or until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, reserving drippings in pan; set bacon aside.
2. Add chicken to drippings in pan; sauté 6 minutes. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 4 minutes or until tender. Add tomato, oregano, and pepper; cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Return bacon to pan. Stir in 2 cups water and broth, scraping pan to loosen browned bits. Bring to a boil. Add orzo, and cook for 9 minutes or until al dente. Add beans; cook 2 minutes or until heated. Remove from heat; stir in salt.
3. Serve with crunchy bread and enjoy!