Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Something nice...or maybe a little too much time on my hands...

Some of you will laugh at this post and say I am a total type A, over prepared, maniac. And that's fine. Because when I was at the end of my pregnancy, that's exactly what I was. I wasn't working, which was a huge blessing, but it gave me way too much time to obsess over all things baby and delivery. My husband and my mom gave me a hard time, because with all of this "waiting time," I tried to be as prepared as I could for the birth. This meant ironing the robe I was taking to the hospital, picking out a new pillow case to put on my pillow, obsessing over my hospital bag, and coming up with a way to thank our nurses and other staff at the hospital. In a perfect world, I'd love to bake them something. But when you don't know when you're baby is coming, that makes it a little tricky. Also...standing at your kitchen counter and cooking/baking at 40 weeks pregnant is way exhausting. 

So instead of baking, I went with the next best thing...Trader Joes! I dragged my big ol' belly to TJ's, bought some trail mix and other snacks for us to keep our room at the hospital, and I also picked up some sweet treats for the nurses. I actually bought these about 3 weeks before my delivery, but it was great knowing they were ready to go!


I put a pretty sticker on top, tied a big bow, and called it a success! Into the hospital bag they went!


Do I know if the nurses enjoyed them? I really have no idea, but I hope they at least brightened their day a little bit. Those ladies busted their butts taking care of us and I wanted to do something to show our appreciation. 

For those of you who have had a baby or other planned hospital stays....did you do something nice for the nurses who took care of you?

10 comments:

  1. I'm the same way. I found myself ironing my PJs. I mean, who does that!? So, I've been trying to figure out what to bring for the nurses. How many gifts should I bring? I don't want to short change someone! Again, this seems so ridiculous & manic, but you know...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I actually baked cookies as soon as I went into labor and took them with us to the hospital for the nurses (well, my husband did help, and he carried them). I really think they appreciated them and we had the best care! So, you are not alone. For the record, I used the slice and bake cookies...for ease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did bake cookies! (while in labor)! I planned for this and the nurses were thankful. My husband did carry them in and made sure they made it to the car once done baking. We got the best care, and I would like to think this might have had something to do with it, but who knows. So, you are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We left a box of chocolates and a note with the nurse that cared for us most of the time. She did so much to help us and I wanted her to know how much we appreciated her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was induced and had to be At the hospital by 400am, so you better believe I brought oodles of doughnuts to keep those nurses happy :) being a nurse, i know snacks always brighten your day...especially in the wee hours of the morning :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet! I love doing little, unexpected things for deserving people. Plus, those TJ treats are so addicting and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We gave Reese's cups, get it? ;) I think they liked them. A nice little thank you goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. As an L&D nurse, I can assure you that your treats were very much appreciated!!! It's so nice to get little surprises and thank yous from patients. I also baked some cinnamon rolls and brought little gifts for my coworkers/friends/nurses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. As a nurse, I promise you they were enjoyed!! Patients/families that bring food are my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete