Thursday, April 25, 2013

6 Months

My sweet M girl. Up until this month, I have written these monthly posts and felt so much excitement and joy in how you're growing and changing each day. And I do still feel that way. I love that you're learning new things and growing big. I am thankful that you are a healthy little girl and you are right where you should be at six months old. But man....this day is a little bittersweet for me. We're now closer to your first birthday than we are to your birth day. You are on your way to being a toddler, and further away from those newborn days. I really can't believe that six months have flown by. They have been the fastest and most wonderful six months of my life. I think your Dad would agree. We absolutely love each day we get to spend with you, Piglet.



Now that I have my sappiness out of the way, let's talk about all of the new things that are going on in your world right now! The list is long. It seems like each week is full of new milestones for you these days.

On March 29, I noticed for the first time that you could sort of balance and sit on your own. It started in short spurts of 15-20 seconds, but has progressed as the month went on. Now I can set you down and you'll sit for a solid half hour and just play. This is a wonderful stage! You do still topple every now and then, so we try to keep the boppy behind you to help break your falls.


On April 1, your first tooth popped through! After months of chewing on everything and lots of drool, you had something to show for all your hard work. And then six days later on April 7, your second tooth appeared beside the first. And just like that, your gummy grin got teeth!


You've been laughing since about 2 months, but up until recently, you've been a little stingy with your giggles. Not anymore, though! Now all we have to do is look at you with a funny face and you'll cackle away. Listening to your laugh is one of my favorite things to do right now.

Nighttime sleep is still your strong suit when it comes to sleeping. 12 hours is your norm, sometimes a little more, sometimes a little less. You are still not a very good napper. It seems to change from week to week. You used to let me put you in your crib and you'd maybe fuss some and fall asleep, but lately, you just cry and cry and cry when I put you in there for naps. When you do go to sleep, it's usually for just 30-40 minutes. This has been so hard on both of us. I am hoping that we can get into a better rhythm of naps this upcoming month.

We have made it six months exclusively nursing, and we're going to start baby led weaning this month. I am excited (and a teeny bit anxious) for this new adventure with you. I should also note that you successfully took a bottle a couple of times this month. After a lot of relentless trying, you have had about 3 full bottle feedings. Major thanks to THIS method for helping me get you to take a bottle!

Speaking of bottles, I was able to leave you with you dad one night last week and he gave you a bottle and put you to bed. This was a big step for both of us! Up until now I had been here for every bedtime, so it was nice to have a night away! We also left you with your first sitter on Monday (4/22). It wasn't a big success (aka you cried pretty much the whole time), but we tried!

You are definitely becoming more and more aware of others around you. We go out to eat and you flirt and smile with the other customers. And when we have playdates and get togethers with other babies, I see you watching and studying the other babies so carefully.


No crawling or even getting yourself up on all fours yet (thankfully!). Your dad likes to put you on all fours and try to teach you to crawl, but you definitely don't seem close to me. Hopefully I have a little more time before you become mobile and I'm chasing you around and baby proofing the home.

Sweet girl, I love you to the moon and back. October 25, 2012 feels like it was just yesterday. How these past six months flew by is beyond me. I hope the next six move a little slower!


Weight: 18 pounds 10 ounces (85th percentile)
Height: 27.25 inches (90th percentile)
Diaper: Size 2 in disposables, in cloth we're still one snap down and four across
Clothes: I can still squeeze you into a few 3-6 month things, but mostly 6-12, or 9 months in Carter's
Eyes: Very blue!
Hair: It's slowly coming in. Your little bald spot in the back even seems to be filling in (but just barely!). I still think it's slightly red on top, but its hard to tell!

4 comments:

  1. I love this post! Happy 6 months, M! Now I get a sneak peak at what is to come with my little one... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bevin! I have to admit, as said as I am that she's getting so big, it only gets better and better as they grow!

      Delete
  2. she's absolute perfection. i seriously cannot get enough of her smile!! happy 6 months sweet m!!!

    ReplyDelete