Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Dream jobs...

Before becoming a stay at home, I taught elementary school. And I knew from about the age of eight that that was the job for me. However, who doesn't ever day dream about doing something different? We all have dream jobs like being on Broadway or playing a professional sport, but then I think we also have dreams of other more realistic jobs. If I could go back to school and do it all over again, here are five jobs I would consider pursuing...
1. Graphic Design: I don't really know if I'd be any good at this, but after years and years of scrapbooking, I think I'd enjoy the process of designing different layouts and playing with different fonts and color combinations. I know there's MUCH more to the job than this, but these are the parts that intrigue me. I have considered learning how to pursue blog designing, but just haven't done it. I know my husband could help me with the tech side of things, but there's still a lot I'd have to learn!

2. Nursing: I have always said teaching is the hardest job out there....but only behind nursing! Nurses work so hard to help others, and there was a period of my life in high school where I sort of considered switching my career path to nursing, but then I found out how much science it required and well...I quickly changed my tune! 

3. Higher Eduction: I don't know what exactly I'd like to do in higher ed, but I think I'd enjoy working for a university...possibly in admissions, an alumni office, or maybe even in career counseling? I never really even considered other career options in college, but several friends of mine have gone on to pursue jobs at different universities (in non teaching roles), and I really think I'd enjoy it. I was a tour guide in college and worked with a lot of prospective students and I loved it. I will say though, I think I'd have a tough time working for a university that wasn't mine!

4. Computer Resource Teacher: While teaching elementary school, one of my favorite parts of the job was utilizing new technology to enhance lessons and student engagement. If we had stayed in Virginia, I think I definitely would have looked really closely at getting my certification for this job in Virginia Beach, mostly because I like how this role looked in the schools. Here in Charlotte, it's a much different job where I'd be teaching "computer" classes to kids, but in VB our CRS helped us (the teachers) learn how to use products and she put together different activities and lessons for us to use with our students. I would love to do this full time.

5. Lactation Consultant: This is a new one on my list. When I delivered M last fall, I found that my hospital room was revolving door of different medical personel...doctors, nurses, technicians, and lactation consultants. I quickly found that my hospital employed some AMAZING LC's, and these ladies were so helpful and resourceful to me in those early days of nursing. This is a relatively "new" job out there, but I have loved my experience nursing my baby, and I'd love to spend my working hours helping other new moms have successful nursing journeys with their little ones. I have done a little research on what it would take to become an IBCLC, and it would definitely be a LOT of work, but it's something I am keeping in the back of my mind for now!

So there you have it! That's my list of dream jobs! 
What would you be doing if you weren't in your line of work?

7 comments:

  1. I have given this a lot of thought throughout the years and I have to say I really enjoy what I do now! The only difference would be that I would love to work on producing documentaries. Work for Biography or something of that sorts. Who can say that they love what they already do?? ME!! YAY ME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you were a guide here! Our VP was one when he was a student and he's always going on about what a great group it is. And I ALWAYS get positive feedback from parents who go on tours about the tour guides here. So neat!

    And as a JMU employee, it's a fabulous place to work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the idea of being an LC...I hadn't ever really thought about it until you mentioned it, but this would be such a great job; helping momma's find a great way to bond with their babies!

    I've always said I would love to be a wedding planner...but alas, I hate the idea of giving up all my Saturdays! Guess that will stay a dream job! ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to work for a big blogger or in PR. I'd even happily work the front desk at a gym if it paid the bills lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a fun post! I have quite a long list of "dream jobs" (some of which could actually happen and some are totally random & unrealistic): blogger (I think it's so cool that Sherry & John from Young House Love just blog for a living), librarian, professional organizer (There are companies that really do this! I've looked into it!), stay at home mom, Spanish teacher, event planner, a coordinator or something at a literacy organization/reading foundation, maybe a position at a museum (dealing with kids programs). I think it would be really cool to be a graphic designer, or someone who is awesome at making videos/documentaries, or a professional "social media" person. I got really into photography (just admiring it, not actually doing it) when I was planning our wedding and I envy photographers' skills. I think it'd be fun to work for Southern Weddings magazine, too! I also wish I could sing & dance. Hahaha! I could go on and on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've thought about higher ed too...with all of the things that are happening in the crazy K-12 world, it seems like a way to keep a hand in education but work in a totally different realm, if that makes sense. Also, ITRT (what we call our CRS) is a fabulous position!

    ReplyDelete
  7. stopping by from last Friday's Charlotte Social link-up! what an AWESOME post! I love thinking about dreams and goals, and I'm a big believer that anything is possible with hard work and determination!

    ReplyDelete