Tuesday, June 11, 2013

graduate

Last week we traveled up to Richmond to watch my baby brother graduate. 

My brother is eleven years younger than me, and seeing him graduate is sort of a strange feeling. In my mind, I feel like I just graduated from high school. 


It's weird thinking about how much has changed in just eleven years. 

When I graduated in 2002, we used AIM and AOL. 
I had a Nokia cell phone. It didn't text.
I listened to CD's in the CD player I had installed in my car.

My brother and his graduating class all communicate via text, facebook, and twitter.
He got an iPhone for graduation.
Music is all digital now. 

So strange to see how much has changed. But as I watched him and his 500 other classmates get their diplomas last Thursday, I saw many similarities between my class and theirs.

I saw a group of students who were excited for their future.
I saw eighteen year olds who were sad to leave the people they had grown up with.
I saw students who had big plans for their future.
I saw a bunch of girls who cared much more about their appearance than the boys.
I saw a lot of parents beaming with pride when their child's name was called.

Some things don't change.

Congratulations, Jason! I'm so proud of you and excited to see where the future takes you.

4 comments:

  1. Haha! I also graduated in '02, had a Nokia and played snake on it. I remember my AIM name (holli64) and thought it was awesome when my parents installed a 10-disc CD changer into my car which until that point only had a tape deck. :) So funny the memories!

    Congrats to your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a sister who's 11 years younger than me and I agree, it's crazy how much has changed!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I graduated a 4 short years before you. No one had cell phones and almost no one had the internet (huh? what's that?). I got my first email account as a freshman in college. I can still remember the awe that was the internet. Crazy times!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It crazy how much can change and stay the same over time!

    ReplyDelete