Wednesday, June 12, 2013

working from home....

Today marks a new chapter for our little family. As of this morning, my husband will now be working from home five days a week, with the small exception of a little traveling here and there. He took a new job where he's going to be working remotely, and while we're all really excited about this, we're also trying to figure out how to make this work best for all three of us.

He will have an office that can be shut off from the rest of the house which I think will be helpful, but I'm wondering what other "boundaries" or "rules" would be helpful to put in place. Do any of you have a spouse who works from home while you are at home with your kids? I love that he'll be here to have lunch with us and to see M for more hours of the day, but I am weary of us (M & me) getting in his way.

Also, our home office is sort of a wreck right now. I've been perusing pinterest to gather ideas on how to make it a better space for us.




Have I also mentioned he wants a standing desk?  I *hate* the way it looks, but can understand why he wants one. Anyone have experience with a decent looking standing desk that won't break the bank?






I'd love to hear thoughts and ideas from other families who are in this situation!

10 comments:

  1. That is so exciting for y'all! I have no tips.... But I know y'all will adjust just fine! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you friend! I'm a little nervous about the change, but mostly excited :)

      Delete
  2. There are so many people in my office that are doing the standing desk now. But, they're doing it because of health reasons. Both of them have SEVERE back problems.
    One of my best friends went back to work after her baby and works out of the house. Her husband is a stay at home Dad. She closes off her office door and he doesn't disturb her until the end of the day.
    Sort of 'her' space. She had to really lay some ground rules with him about it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he wants the desk to help with posture and he says it will improve his health, but man, it's ugly! At least his set up is :) We need to work on it!

      Delete
  3. We dealt with that while I was home on maternity leave. The main thing I tried to do was respect that Brent was working and not just home chilling with us. The only 'rule' we established was if the office door was closed, we needed to stay out. He would crack it if we could come in. I tried not to bother him much, but occasionally a girl just needs to talk to someone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's nice to have communication with other adults sometimes!

      Delete
  4. I work at home and when my husband happens to be home for the day, and I agree, if the door is closed, do not enter. Its super hard for him to do, really, I dont know why, but if I close the door, it means leave me alone. I also have a home phone that is strictly for work so the only ones that call it is work related (and annoying telemarketers unfortunately. Good luck!! I love working from home. I take breaks and do yardwork, housework, ect. And it saves alot of money and sanity with no commuting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are definitely excited to cut back on the cost of gas!!

      Delete
  5. Congrats that is super exciting! I just have one crazy question for you, how did you get your Pinterest images to embed like that? The new embed keeps me from getting the full image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just used the embed code on pinterest? Is that what you tried?

      Delete