Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Getting my "fix"

Months and months ago, I saw a blog post by a "big" blogger about an online styling company called StitchFix. I read her review, and was very impressed by it all, but at the time, I was still teaching and newly pregnant, and new, non-maternity clothes weren't really on my radar.

Fast forward about sixteen months, and here I am, a new mom, and my wardrobe is pretty much the same thing. A combo of yoga pants and running shorts paired with tank tops or tees, and then some bright 5" shorts with the same combo of tees and tanks. And pretty much all of this comes from either Target or Old Navy with a few tees from Gap. I occasionally throw in some white jeans in the summer, but that's about it. This is a great wardrobe for around the home and running errands or playdates with the baby, but I was beginning to want some nicer items for when I get the chance to go out on a date with my husband, or when I get to have a night out with friends. I had pieces like this from the past, but as most new moms would tell you, stuff just doesn't fit the same.

Breastfeeding has been my best friend, and I've managed to lose all my pregnancy weight plus some in the almost nine months since M was born. But my rib cage expanded, my chest is larger, and miraculously, my bottom is actually smaller. All of these things mean that some of my favorite clothing items from life before baby, just don't fit the bill anymore. In addition to this, I don't have the time (or fashion sense) to take myself to the mall to pick out nice pieces for my wardrobe. The thought of doing that with a nine month old is daunting.

Enter...Stitch Fix! My blogging buddy Meaghan recently blogged and tweeted about her experience with them, and I recalled reading about them months ago from that other "big" blogger. After hearing how much Meaghan loved it, I decided to give it a shot. What did I have to lose?

If you haven't heard about Stitch Fix, here's how it works...they are a personal styling company who take your style preferences and sizes, and mail you five items tailored to your needs and likes. You answer dozens of questions about your style preferences, likes & dislikes, and then you arrange a "fix." For $20, they mail you your five items, you try them on in your own home, and then you mail back what you don't like (no extra charge for the return shipping), and keep what you love and you're charged for. Best of all, your $20 styling fee can be applied to anything you choose to keep. So if you have a $70 top you end up keeping, you end up paying $50. AND, I should add, you choose when you want to have the "fix" sent. You can have it mailed monthly, bi-monthly, or just twice a year. Completely up to you.

Here's a fun little graphic from Stitch Fix that explains it better than I do:



So now that I've gone through all the FAQ's, I'm ready to share what I got! I thought about taking pictures of each item on me, but I'm no fashion blogger; I would have looked like a fool. You get to see them on the hanger!

Let's start with what got sent back....

Item #1

I really, really loved this tank, but in the end, it got sent back.
It was just too loose on me, making me look bigger than I really am. It was silk and a great color. Wish it would have worked out! It was cute with my white jeans!


Item #2

This was an adorable top and I wanted to like it, but it was just too short on me. I like my tops to be long, and this just didn't fit the bill. It was also around $80, and quality wise, it just didn't seem like it was a top I could justify spending $80 on. 


Item #3

This was the only item I really didn't like. It was a bad fit, weird cut, and just looked terrible on me. I think it'd be cute on a very slim woman, but I'm usually a size 8 in dresses/skirts, and this was just NO good with my hips and my belly that is nt even close to being toned.


So now onto the good....here's what I DID keep!

Item #4

This is a funny top. If I had seen this in the store, I would have walked right past it. The color and style are not like anything I own, and I have a bad habit of buying all similar items. As soon as I slipped it on, I knew it was perfect for me and my body type. It's flowy, but not baggy. I can't wait to pair it with some cute jeans and boots in the fall. 


Item #5

Can I just say how much I LOVE this dress? On the rack it looks nice. But it fits me perfectly. It's a linen dress with a built in slip, and it's so comfortable. I'm planning to wear it to a summer wedding next week!


Another neat thing that Stitch Fix does with each item, is they attach a style guide for you. If you're fashion clueless like me, it gives you ideas on different ways to wear the piece.


So there you have it. My first "fix!" I'll probably do another one at some point in the fall, but it won't be a regular thing for me. The items were on the pricier side (everything in my order ranged from $70-$100), so ordering frequently wouldn't fit my budget. But one other neat thing, once you order you go and leave feedback on each item for your stylist, so that when you place another order, she can look at what you liked and didn't like before putting together another order for you.

Have you tried Stitch Fix or ever worked with a stylist?
Would you consider letting a stranger pick out your clothes for you?


This post was not sponsored and I was not paid to write a review of my items! I just wanted to share because several friends had asked that I share what came in my "fix;" I have used referral links in this post!

13 comments:

  1. I think your fix is my favorite yet - which is good, because I already planned on signing up! I love all 3 tops!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Please share when you get your order :)

      Delete
  2. I'd never heard if this! What a great idea. I'd probably end up spending a little more than I'd want (or should) though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that is a downside! I have a hard time saying no to an expensive item if I really love it and it fits great.

      Delete
  3. I have to try this! I have filled out my "profile" but haven't committed...the prices seem a little high, but if they are pieces I wouldn't normally buy but LOVE them, I think it's worth it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, the prices are more than I normally spend, but for a quality piece that fits me well, it's worth it to splurge from time to time!

      Delete
  4. I hear your post-pregnancy body change woes. I technically still have a few baby pounds to shed (despite breastfeeding and exercise), but even though I'm not hanging on to THAT much extra weight, my clothes fit completely differently. It's like I'm carrying weight totally differently... SO frustrating. I've also set up a stitch fix account, but can't pull the trigger yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what ya mean about carrying the weight differently. What is that all about? Good thing those cute babies are worth it :)

      Delete
  5. Okay, okay. I'm going to try it! Right now. Signing up, you convinced me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! Please share what you get when it comes :)

      Delete
  6. Convinced me, too!! I want to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!! I was so hesitant, but now I can't wait to do it again!

      Delete
  7. I've used them a few times and sometimes the orders have been really hit or miss for me. Like you... I feel some of the prices aren't worth the item and get sent back.

    ReplyDelete