Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mustard & Dill Potato Salad

At our cookout on Saturday I brought a potato salad with me. This was a new recipe, one I borrowed from my good pal Barefoot Contessa, and y'all...it was good. Very, very good! Several of the other girls requested the recipe, so I thought I'd share with all of you!

On small note....don't skimp on the mayonaise or buttermilk. Full fat is where it's at! YOLO!


Adapted from this recipe from Barefoot Contessa

Ingredients
3 pounds small yellow potatoes
Sea salt
1 cup mayonnaise (I prefer Duke's)
1/3 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
Freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped red onion

Directions
Place the potatoes and 2 tablespoons of salt in a large pot of water. Bring the water to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, until the potatoes are barely tender when pierced with a knife. Drain the potatoes in a colander, then place the colander with the potatoes over the empty pot and cover with a clean, dry kitchen towel. Allow the potatoes to steam for 15 to 20 minutes.

 Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, Dijon mustard, whole grain mustard, dill, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Set aside.

 When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them in quarters or in half, depending on their size. Place the cut potatoes in a large bowl. While the potatoes are still warm, pour enough dressing over them to moisten. Add the red onion, 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper. Toss well, cover, and refrigerate for a few hours to allow the flavors to blend. Serve cold or at room temperature.

9 comments:

  1. This looks good pretty good! Think it would taste okay with bacon added in? That is usually my favorite part of potato salad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is bacon ever a bad idea? NOPE!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad you posted this. This potato salad was awesome and my husband has been talking about it for days. I can't wait to surprise him with a batch of my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome! Hope he likes his surprise!

      Delete
  3. Alright... I LOL'd at your YOLO :-)

    This looks YUM, right up my alley. Here's my untraditional standby - we were just saying I haven't made it yet this summer and it's high-time. Tell me what you think! http://www.freckledcitizen.com/2010/08/summer-potato-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you caught my YOLO! My husband was embarrassed to be married to me when he read it....

      And I'm totally pinning your recipe now!! Will let you know when I try it!

      Delete
  4. This was SO good! I knew it would be if you were making it though. I only wish I'd gone back for seconds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds good, and a lot like one I made ages ago and don't have the recipe for anymore... now I do:)

    ReplyDelete