Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Red Walls

Alright blog world. I have a confession to make. 

I am sort of the worst when it comes to decorating my home.

We've been in our home for a year, and M's nursery is the only complete room in the house. In fact, I haven't even really attempted to work on any of the other rooms because it's such a daunting task.

I love pretty rooms and homes, and I can pin pretty spaces like the best of 'em, but I don't have a single interior design bone in my body. So help me out....please!

A few months ago I bought a new rug for our living room. 

I really love our new rug, and it matches our couches nicely. The couches that we have are an olive/beige color. Here they are a few years ago in our rental home in Virginia (look at those nice blue walls...a color we did not choose! It's definitely not in the running this time.).


So here's my question....with our olive colored sofas and our colorful rug, what colors would you paint the walls???

I've been playing around on the Sherwin Williams App "Color Snap" (which is pretty cool, btw!) and I've come up with a few options...



Out of those colors, I am sort of leaning toward the red one, Peppery. Am I crazy? Is a red living room too much? Or should I just give it a shot...it is just paint, right? We have a lot of natural light in this room during the day, white trim and plantation shutters, and a white fireplace, so I'm thinking that would help lighten it up and the read would balance out some?

If I don't do red, I'm thinking maybe Reddish or Reddened Earth. Thoughts on those? I am just so bad at these things and need some guidance. You can also tell me all my choices are crazy and to go with something else. I'm open to all ideas! Comment away!

ETA: Our walls are currently a neutral cream color. It works, but I'm looking to add some color!

16 comments:

  1. I would either do reddened earth or the green -inland. I think the peppery is too bold. But, what do I know?
    I look back at what we did and regret I didn't go bolder like an interior design friend tried to get me to do.
    I was just nervous and so was Brad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the inland green!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, I'm clueless but my Mom's friend is an interior designer and she's helped me with paint colors. In my condo and in our house (you can see this weekend!), we are painting all of our walls Sherwin Williams "Jersey Cream" and the trim "Creamy." These are pretty classic and neutral colors so you can change your decorations instead of repainting every time and still get a new look. They'd definitely go with your couches and rug. Just a thought! Afterall, paint is paint and you can always paint again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. In our last home our kitchen was Reddened Earth. I actually saw it first in my aunt's home, and copied b/c it was such a great color. I do like Peppery though . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a TERRIBLE decorator - but I would be so afraid of the red, even though I love it. I'd be looking for a more buttery-cream color to pick up some of the accents in the rug - that way, decor can be switched out more easily.

    But truthfully, I don't know ANYTHING. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I say go for the color! If you're hesitant to do the entire room in Peppery, what about an accent wall? We paint all the time...I'm pretty sure our family room has been four colors in seven years :) My dining room is purple, Molly's room is hot pink, James' room is turquoise, and our bathroom is black. So, obviously, I say go for the color!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peppery would look great in small doses. Maybe like an accent wall? I'm afraid an entire room of knock-your-socks-off-red would be really overwhelming. You should go to Home Depot/Lowes/wherever and get some samples! Paint a few big swatches on a couple of walls and live with them for a few days. Sometimes seeing them in the different lights of the day will really change your perspective. We've done that twice in our house (for the living room and for Isaac's nursery) and BOTH times we ended up picking a second or third color choice because it ended up looking so much better on the wall than we thought it would.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the idea of going neutral on the walls so you can change out with art, etc. and maybe doing an accent wall in Peppery... I have a bold kitchen and I love it (it's a similar color) but it can be really bold and if it is a large room, can be a bit overwhelming!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Go for Peppery! I wish I had more color on our walls, but condo living doesn't lend itself to that so well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would think about the other rooms in your house too. I think it's nice to have some rooms that are a big bold color, but not every single one, thats when it gets overwhelming. If the other rooms are more neutral colors I think you can get away with a bold red color (especially if you have a lot of neutral accents in that room as well.) Your couches seem to be neutral so the red may work. I say go for it, you can always change it if you don't like it, but at least you will know for sure. Good luck, hope you post "after" pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Was I the only person to use the sherwin williams app to find the product equivalent to my sunburn?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Girl, I'm right there with you, I'm not a good decorator either! In fact, in our house, we have three rooms total painted, and one accent wall. The whole rest of the house is WHITE, and we have zero plans to paint anything else any time soon. Good for you for trying some color. I'm a wimp and would probably go with some neutral tan color or something, but I like the idea of the peppery color.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the peppery, but an interior decorator suggested to us that we paint the walls a nuetral color and get creative with the accessories like curtains, accent pillows, etc. Or just paint one wall in Peppery as an accent wall. I am glad that we went neutral on the walls, because it was hard enough finding accessories!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What about a pale mustard color?? Still light, but pull in the rug and match couches and could always chance accessories if you wanted. My parents have yellow in their main rooms and its a great color!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the colors in the living room 3 photo. I think with the couches and that rug any of those colors would go really great. It's going to be a darker room though because most of the time the paint ends up being a little darker once on the walls. My bathroom just got darker than I wanted it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  16. Personally I would paint mustard yellow walls with maybe one accent wall painted the "peppery" color.

    ReplyDelete