Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Day Trip to Lake Placid

On the Wednesday of our vacation week in upstate New York, we took a day trip to the town of Lake Placid to do a few touristy things! I visited LP on a trip to Westport in 2006, but it was very brief and just for a quick bite to eat after a hike nearby. I wanted to go back and see some of the neat Olympic sites in town, and we wanted to visit the brew pub for Lake Placid Brewery!


Lake Placid was the home of the 1932 and 1980 Winter Olympics. And for those of you who love the movie Miracle as much as I do (I love a great sports movie where the underdog wins!), this where that famous USA win took place back in 1980!



Here we are at the rink...if only we had worn our red, white, and blue. Poor planning, Mom!


We also checked out the ice rink from 1932. They were having a figure skating competition going on and we got to see all kinds of small children doing fancy tricks on the ice. I had never seen such tiny people do such complicated moves on the ice before!



There was also a bobsled sighting. Sadly, no real bobsledding this year for us. Maybe we can plan that for another year!


After touring all the fun Olympic buildings in town, we headed to the Lake Placid Brew Pub in town and had lunch and shared a beer sampler. One of our favorite thing to do on trips is to find and test out local breweries. This one had some good beers. My favorite was the Smokin' Blond Ale which was your typical blond ale but with a great smokey flavor. Very different, but great!


After lunch we walked around and explored the cute town of Lake Placid. Lots of cute gift shops, restaurants, and neat buildings. It really was a fun place to visit for the day!


We eventually ditched the stroller and M took a nap on my back in her Ergo. 
You can't really see her in these pictures, but she slept hard as we walked all over the town!



On our way back to Westport, we got to drive through the high peaks region of the Adirondacks, and we stopped at this pull off for a few pictures. The scenery here is just stunning. It's the sort of thing that just takes your breath away.




4 comments:

  1. Your little family is the cutest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like my kind of day! I can't believe she sleeps in the carrier like that! I don't think Shelbs would be up for that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok M sleeping on your back cracks me up. Girl is out!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this post brought back so many memories for me. We went to Lake Placid when I was young and I recall going to that Olympic Center!

    Thanks for taking me down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete